“They still make the best hot and sour soup I've ever tasted!”

Forbidden City Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 133 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 23 August 2016

Concistent and by far the best Chinese restaurant in Hanover. Hot and sour soup is the best, as is the sizzling rice soup...great texture. They'll cook things to accomodate plant based diets and I've never had a bad dish. I personally don't like the buffet...you eat too much and I'd rather have a super fresh individual entree...but lots of people like it.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

I've been to quite a few Chinese restaurants and this one was just fair. From a 1 to 10, I'd rate it a 5 being average. We opted for the buffet. They had an area for Sushi but there was none (and I was in the mood for some Sushi) and so I asked if there were going to be bring out any Sushi? "No Sushi today". Bummer!
The selection of food was a bit sparse and the lo-mein looked like it had been warmed over for quite a long time. The choices I had though tasted okay. I didn't have anything that tasted bad. I liked their Curry quite a bit. Their unpeeled Shrimp could have been fresher, but it was decent.
I did like how they automatically serve you hot tea in a tea pot and ice water when you first sit down. (Seat yourself when you come in). The tea was very hot, which I loved. Also at the end of your meal, they will serve you a small scoop of ice cream which is nice too.
So, over all, average. Had there been more choices and the food more fresh, I would of up'd my score for this Forbidden City Restaurant. For me...I'll leave this one from now on Forbidden.

Reviewed 9 March 2016

I meet a friend for lunch at Forbidden city every month and I am never dissatisfied. There is plenty to eat and the prices are great. I have not tried the buffet but it looks like a great selection at a reasonable price. The service is fast and friendly as well.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

It is difficult for me to write a review because I am overcome by the desire to leave the keyboard, get into our car and race over to Forbidden City to chow down!

My wife and I have enjoyed the carefully prepared food and terrific service there for a few years and it occurred to me only on our last visit that I had not submitted a review with TripAdvisor to let others in on this wonderful eatery.

We usually go during the Buffet Days so we can dig in to our favorite dishes: the Egg Foo Young, Lo Mein, soups, white and fried rice, the most excellent chicken wings (not hot, just terrific) and the best Spring Rolls I have yet to enjoy on the East Coast.

Many other dishes served during buffet hours but I suggest you visit and pick out your favorites. I am sure you will be delighted.

Ice water and hot tea served upon your arrival (soft drinks also available) and the service staff keep you topped off.

We have to control ourselves or risk over-eating and you may find yourself fighting the urge to go "one more time" yourself!

After our meal, my wife and I usually go to the fine antique store next door to walk it off!

1  Thank ESCALERA
Reviewed 20 January 2016

It is in a strip shopping center, next to an antique mall (maybe a good date day), but not the kind of chinese to-go place with a few plastic booths and the standard template photos of 10 dishes lit up behind the register. You can expect a clean, somewhat dated restaurant with pretty pink tablecloths and older chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling. They do have a buffet, but I don't like them and didn't dine here when it was in operation.

Service is quick, not super friendly, but accommodating. The highlight must be in the kitchen, because the food is really GOOD! Lately, I've been eating less meat and more veggies, so I ordered a veggie chow mein. Boring, right? Nope! Chock full of veggies, lots of variety, not just bok choy, celery and onion here. And the sauce was delicate and tasty. No soy sauce needed. Egg Rolls were yummy, too. My daughter had vegetable friend rice and it met her picky demands. Grandma was more adventurous and ordered prawn curry and found the shrimp tender and plentiful, sauce very good, and said there were plenty of veggies, including potatoes, whcih was a first for her in that dish.

You can bet I picked up carry out menu to take home!