“Great place for Chinese”

Forbidden City Restaurant
Ranked #38 of 135 Restaurants in Hanover
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 9 March 2016

I meet a friend for lunch at Forbidden city every month and I am never dissatisfied. There is plenty to eat and the prices are great. I have not tried the buffet but it looks like a great selection at a reasonable price. The service is fast and friendly as well.

Reviewed 19 February 2016

It is difficult for me to write a review because I am overcome by the desire to leave the keyboard, get into our car and race over to Forbidden City to chow down!

My wife and I have enjoyed the carefully prepared food and terrific service there for a few years and it occurred to me only on our last visit that I had not submitted a review with TripAdvisor to let others in on this wonderful eatery.

We usually go during the Buffet Days so we can dig in to our favorite dishes: the Egg Foo Young, Lo Mein, soups, white and fried rice, the most excellent chicken wings (not hot, just terrific) and the best Spring Rolls I have yet to enjoy on the East Coast.

Many other dishes served during buffet hours but I suggest you visit and pick out your favorites. I am sure you will be delighted.

Ice water and hot tea served upon your arrival (soft drinks also available) and the service staff keep you topped off.

We have to control ourselves or risk over-eating and you may find yourself fighting the urge to go "one more time" yourself!

After our meal, my wife and I usually go to the fine antique store next door to walk it off!

Reviewed 20 January 2016

It is in a strip shopping center, next to an antique mall (maybe a good date day), but not the kind of chinese to-go place with a few plastic booths and the standard template photos of 10 dishes lit up behind the register. You can expect a clean, somewhat dated restaurant with pretty pink tablecloths and older chinese lanterns hanging from the ceiling. They do have a buffet, but I don't like them and didn't dine here when it was in operation.

Service is quick, not super friendly, but accommodating. The highlight must be in the kitchen, because the food is really GOOD! Lately, I've been eating less meat and more veggies, so I ordered a veggie chow mein. Boring, right? Nope! Chock full of veggies, lots of variety, not just bok choy, celery and onion here. And the sauce was delicate and tasty. No soy sauce needed. Egg Rolls were yummy, too. My daughter had vegetable friend rice and it met her picky demands. Grandma was more adventurous and ordered prawn curry and found the shrimp tender and plentiful, sauce very good, and said there were plenty of veggies, including potatoes, whcih was a first for her in that dish.

You can bet I picked up carry out menu to take home!

Reviewed 6 January 2016

Forbidden City Restaurant is the best Chinese restaurant in the area, and, actually, the best restaurant in the Hanover, PA area. All the food served is always freshly made in the restaurant kitchen by the owner and is always served on warmed plates and is always delicious. The food is very healthy as it is served with fresh meat and lots of vegetables. The buffet dishes are removed and replaced with new dishes at least every 30 minutes, and sometimes sooner that that. The restaurant is family owned and operated with special attention given to each customer. Forbidden City Restaurant is my favorite place to go when we eat out.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

We have known Cathy and frequented this restaurant for many, many years. It is our absolute favorite and definitely a step above the multitude of "fast food" Chinese restaurants in the area. They have a great buffet every Friday and Saturday for dinner.