“Awfully great motel :)” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Orchard Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bird in Hand
Orchard Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Bird in Hand B&B and Inns
VA
“Awfully great motel :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Ssshhh don't want to get the word out...it's in a beautiful surrounded by orchards and Amish farms. Stayed here last December with my sisters because we wanted to be out in the country away from the city of Lancaster. We found it by accident 3 years ago while on a sisters shopping trip riding around the area looking at the Amish farms, etc. We had a wonderful time here for 3 nights and it's very clean, room was great just not much on the TV but we weren't watching TV. Heading back in April 2012 with my husband for our wedding anniversary can't wait to see flowers in bloom. Going to take a train ride in Strasberg...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

My friend and I have been to the Lancaster area several times. We usually stay at a Bed and Breakfast, but we were only staying for 2 nights and wanted to stay somewhere clean and inexpensive. I have heard of Orchard Inn I just never stayed here before. Well, I decided to give them a try and I'm so glad I did. The price was extremely reasonable and they except AAA which took $5.00 off of the winter rate. As said by other viewers, this place is located in a very quiet, beautiful area surrounded by Amish farms and orchards. You can literally smell the manure when getting out of the car. That's how close you are. The motel itself is small and quaint. The grounds are extremely clean and well cared for. As soon as I entered the lobby to check in I knew this place was going to be spotless. The lobby is clean and well kept with country furnishings. Check in was a breeze and the women at the desk couldn't be nicer or more accomodating. We felt very welcomed here! We stayed in room 14 which is located at the corner of the motel. It's very private and conveniently located right next to the ice machine. The room itself was a little larger then your standard motel room. It had a large Queen sized bed, glider rocking chairs, and a stand up shower. No tub. I was expecting a very small shower with this room. To my surprise this shower was very big! It even had a seat in it for extra convenience. The sink was outside the bathroom which I really liked and we had a microwave and refrigerator. This place even offered free bottled water in the fridge which was really nice too. Now as for cleanliness, this room was spotless! It didn't even smell like your average motel room. It just had a new smell to it. And I loved the furniture! All Amish made which added a lot of charm to the room. The rocking chair gliders were extremely comfortable. I didn't want to get up from sitting in them! The tv was a nice size with various channels. The bed was pillow topped and probably the most comfortable bed I ever slept in at a motel. It had a cozy, thick down comforter for extra warmth at night. I was in Heaven! Now, I did here some complaints on here regarding the corners of the foot boards. Yes you do have to be careful because you can bruise your leg. You just have to watch where your going and all will be fine. It really wasn't an issue with us at all. As for the breakfast, its a small continental that they offer. Homemade bread and jams. Some cereal and juices. We never ate there for breakfast so I can't really comment on that. All in all this place was wonderful and I would definately stay here again. I would hardly call it a motel. It's just to nice to be called that. Inn is definately more appropriate. I would love to stay here in the summer or fall so I can see all the apples in bloom and get a real feel of the beauty of the place. We hope to be back soon! : )

Room Tip: I loved room 14! It was a little more private then the rest of the rooms. It sits right in the corne...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank fiestylady
Abingdon, MD
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

I like to visit the area of Lancaster County around Strasburg, and Bird-In-Hand frequently to just get away for a few days of relaxation. For several years I looked for just the right hotel / inn with the right combination of location, price, quality, and restful setting. Until about 1 1/2 years ago I had not been able to quite find that desired mix! Then I stumbled onto the Orchard Inn; which had many outstanding reviews both here on Tripadvisor and other services.

During a day trip in the spring of 2010 I stopped by the inn to make a reservation for a stay later that summer. Person on duty insisted that I take a tour of several rooms that were currently vacant. This is something that I have not seen at an inn in the US; although I have seen it on a regular basis on smaller inns in Europe. That act alone convinced me that I had found the inn I was looking for!! I made my reservation for three nights in July 2010. Unfortunately since it was close to the July dates I wanted; they did not have a room that could accommodate three consecutive nights. I was advised that they would accept my reservation with the understanding that they might have to move me to a different room during the course of my stay. When I arrived for my mini-vacation I found that they had been able to book me into one room for all three nights!

During that first stay I found that the inn had everything I had been looking for! I have stayed there three more times, the most recent in October 2011 and have booked additional stays during the winter of 2011 and the summer of 2012.

If you are a regular guest they will allow you to reserve a specific room; provided you make the reservation far enough in advance.

All of my stays have been extremely relaxing and refreshing. Breakfast is adequate. Rooms are spacious and well appointed. Without exception the owners and staff value every guest as a member of their extended family; which is something you do not see in many hotels or inns today!

I usually get a room close to the lobby and have found that the Wi-Fi is available in the room. TV service is provided by satellite. I have not watched TV much, but have found the service adequate with a large number of channels available.

Room Tip: Make your reservation as far in advance as possible.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Mike C
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2011

I do not want to write a rave review, as I can no longer get a room here, the secret is out. LOL
I have been coming to the Bird in Hand area for about 10 years now, and after staying at numerous popular places ( Bird in Hand Inn, Amish View, ect...THIS is the best! Lovely Christian employee's ( Mennonite/Amish) , beautiful peaceful views, quiet and relaxing, just the way it should be when coming to this area. We like to walk, and you can stroll down the roads without seeing a car for some time. Breakfast is good enough , with fresh homemade breads and jams, local yougart, and an assortment of cereals, ect. Pricing is moderate, but off season it is cheap! Book ahead for busy times, or you may not get a room. :) oh, and the best part, the big, comfy beds! Down comforters, just like the pricey hotels. ( The reviewer who complained about the walls? This is AMISH country, PLAIN and simple and the decor reflects this, I think it is charming!

Room Tip: If you need an internet connection, ask for a room nearest the office, or you will have none!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Jacksonville, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2011

My husband and I normally stay at a bed and breakfast while in the area, but it was booked. We found this motel on a previous trip during a horse and buggy ride. I was not disappointed and although my husband liked it, he didn't like it as much as I did. The room was spacious with a king bed. The furniture was all Amish-made and beautiful. The bathroom had the shower and toilet in one room, the sink outside which was helpful in the morning. It also came with a little fridge and microwave. One thing that wasn't great was the "closet" was in front of the fridge, so when I wanted to open the fridge, I always had to move the clothes that were hanging.
The thermostat was also off. The first night I moved it to 65 since it was going to be in the mid 30's outside. We woke up in the middle of the night BROILING. I turned it off and opened the window to cool it down. We didn't turn it back on the rest of the trip and were comfortable. The first morning, the faucet knob in the shower broke off and they had it fixed right away and were very apologetic that it happened.
The breakfast was basic, but good. There was coffee, tea, hot chocolate, juice, 3 types of cereal and granola, locally made yogurt, bread , and jam. We had a small breakfast, since we do a lot of eating while in the Amish country. It was enough. Kauffman's Produce Market is within walking distance, but you still may want to take the car, because there is SO much good stuff to purchase.
Across the road from the motel is a horse with a "bubble gum machine" with horse feed that you can get for a quarter. That was fun; the horse was very friendly. Down the road a bit to the right is an Amtrak track. Kids who love trains would be very excited to see one rush by :)
The girls in the office were all very nice and always ready to help if needed. The whole place was clean, clean, clean. You could have eaten off the floor of the bathroom! We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: I think any room would be good. We were next to the ice machine and didn't hear a thing.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2.4 km away
Harvest Drive Family Inn
Harvest Drive Family Inn
#3 of 3 in Intercourse

Been to Orchard Inn? Share your experiences!