“Fantastic Breakfast Buffet”

Ranked #3 of 15 Restaurants in Bird in Hand
Cuisines: American
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: Smorgasbord buffet, menu dining, and take out meals. Nestled amid the Amish farmlands of Lancaster County, this Mennonite family-owned business features farm fresh meats, poultry, fruits and vegetables from nearby farms and Grandma Smucker's favorite Pennsylvania Dutch recipes. Family-friendly with a Noah's Ark Kids' Buffet and breakfast, lunch and dinner smorgasbords, this local favorite has been a landmark for more than 40 years.
Reviewed 20 August 2018

A decent variety of hot and cold choices. What I had for the first time was some kind of baked/fried French Toast. Went back for seconds on that. Reasonably priced and wasn't too crowded. Service was fine

Date of visit: August 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (1,489)

Reviewed 20 August 2018

For this show, one eats in the restaurant and then descends to the basement for the show. The food is buffet-Smorgasbord. One helps themselves to a variety of tasty foods and then returns to one's table. One can make unlimited trips to the food bar. At the designated time one travels to the stage area. This area appears to be added as an afterthought. We had a seat on the second tier. These tiers appear to be portable - not as sturdy as built in seating. I sat behind a lady with "Big" hair. Thus I only saw the top half of the actors. This is why I gave it 4 stars (not 5) The play was excellent.

Date of visit: June 2018
1  Thank Joy M
Reviewed 20 August 2018

Every year we go to the stage shows which are good. The actors and singers are very talented. Went to the show in the afternoon on Wednesday and the smorgasbord breakfast on Friday (look for savings coupons). Good breakfast for the price.

Reviewed 18 August 2018

The staff was very helpful.The food was fabulous!The buffet was very clean.Fresh food.The girls food was adjusted by age for pay.Thought that was great!You must try the breads.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed 13 August 2018

I do not know what goes on with this place. I try going every year when I visit the area. Some years it is good others not as much. This year I went with my family to the dinner buffet twice and the food was good, maybe not great, but good.

The breakfast buffet was another story. it was horrible. I am sorry we tried it, it was our last morning there and literally left a bad taste in my mouth. The toast was cold and tasted like having stale bread. The scrambled eggs were cold, rubbery and tasteless. The messed up the scrapple where it tasted horrible. Any time I went up there were never any waffles. The creamed chipped beef was much more cream then beef. I kept trying little sample of different things hoping I would find something I liked, but I basically wound up eating watermelon. I was hoping maybe even donuts, but it seemed they did not keep them stocked either since there were only one or two each time I tried.

When the hostess/cashier asked me how my meal was I told her how I was disappointed and why. She told me it was because I had ordered the buffet instead of off the menu. If you know you breakfast buffet is bad why do you keep offering it? I even wrote to them once I got home and as of now have still not heard back. There are plenty of other places in the area where I can spend my money on food next time I am in the area.

If I was only rating the breakfast this would only be getting one star, but the dinners brought it up to the two stars

Date of visit: August 2018
Kenn B, Manager at Bird-in-Hand Family Restaurant & Smorgasbord, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2018

Dear Ken N, thank you for telling us about your experience. I am sorry that you found the food unsatisfactory. I am also sorry that no one has gotten back to your message. We try to respond to all concerns from our guests. I have not seen your message, but I will ask about it. I am glad that you at least enjoyed your dinners.