“Great ice cream and variety of flavors.”

Handel's Homemade Ice Cream
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Berwyn
Reviewed 12 October 2017

Love the ice cream and flavors you can pick from at Handel's. They offer a wide selection of items to pick from. The staff is usually quite friendly. The lines could be managed especially when really long.

1  Thank TMazoo

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

It's just okay. The ice cream is served VERY soft. Its already starting melt when it is handed to you. There never seems to be enough staff. That, along with prices that seem too high, keep this place from a 5.

1  Thank Jaded F
Reviewed 23 July 2017

You cannot get closers to homemade than Handel's. Just be prepared to eat it quickly because homemade ice cream melts very fast especially in the hot weather. Be prepared for a long line and a long wait. However, there is a longer list of ice cream flavors available so everyone will find something that they like.
Check out the specialty flavors of the month. I had a the blueberry cobbler and is was delicious - blueberries, graham crust, nice vanilla ice cream. Also, the chocolate cake batter tasted exactly like chocolate cake batter. Most of their ice creams are not too fancy but most people like vanilla. Handel's give you a change to live a little.
ENJOY!

1  Thank MadCat42
Reviewed 6 July 2017

I am an ice cream snob and I don't think I've ever been able to write a review praising any ice cream yet. I make my own ice cream on occasion and this is as close as I've found to my homemade stuff yet. For those who find Handel's a "disappointment" because of all the hype, remember that there are lots of different styles of ice cream and features of the flavors. Try a couple different flavors before writing this place off as overrated. You can ask them which of their ice creams the use as the base for all their flavors (vanilla ice cream, chocolate, malt, etc.) so try something which starts with a different base and it might be closer to what you were hoping to have. For example, I generally like vanilla ice cream bases but I don't particularly like Handel's vanilla-based flavors and I usually get something else. But, when I make ice cream I use ridiculously expensive vanilla and no one could expect a commercial place to do that. I believe this was the first Handel's franchise in PA, and possibly the first outside of their home state of Ohio and it's been here many years now. I remember when this was a gas station and the plumbing supply place across the street had nothing but toilet seats displayed in the window, so clearly the whole area has upscaled itself quite a bit! My only complaint, and this is with pretty much all ice cream shops and maybe our "biggie size it" culture in general is this: why is the smallest "serving" of ice cream that you can get always 10 times what you should eat in a dessert serving? Sometimes I just want a little sweet treat to satisfy, not to become nauseous from overindulgence! I am not passing judgment on those who want something that big, and I have enjoyed such huge portions at times myself. But, why not make it an OPTION to pig out? Sure, I could buy something, eat a little and throw the rest in the trash (and I have) but it seems expensive and wasteful to do that (and difficult when you're enjoying it at the time!). Also, their waffle cones are absolutely fantastic but add even more to the portion size because you get even more ice cream in it! I have recently discovered their ice cream sandwiches, which are a smaller ice cream snack so sometimes I get those, but the flavors are typically limited to two options. Advice to ice cream store proprietors: offer a much smaller portion, don't call it a "kiddie" size (because that creates an expectation that it be cheap and kids want the huge one anyway); you could charge almost as much as an "American Small" cone---the profit would be greater per item and you might get more repeat business because there is a market out there of people who want to be able to eat desserts regularly without eating another day's worth of calories doing it and we'd come visit you more often. Just sayin'... Another suggestion: Put a handwashing sink outside, with paper towels. We are always sneaking over to your hose faucet to rinse off and asking for extra napkins to clean up before getting back into the car. Those printed napkins must be expensive, so I'm sure they need to be a little stingy with them. But, I always see people trying to clean up drippy messes and if were easier for us to do so, moms might not dread a messy Handel's stop if they knew they could clean up the kids before putting them back in the car.

1  Thank Chris_S_Travels
Reviewed 25 June 2017

Seems like everybody loves this ice cream parlor, as the lines are always long. But, it's always worth the wait to enjoy the friendly service and the fabulous ice cream. Plus, the people standing in line always seem to be interesting and friendly in their own right, so the wait seems to fly by.

1  Thank Paul S