“love the sun and desert” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa

Kah-Nee-Ta Resort & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Warm Springs
portland oregon
“love the sun and desert”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2011

This is a great 2 day getaway from portland. I love the heat, the pools and watching the bats at night and othr wildlfe in the day. The food is limited as far as non-meat options but their salads are awesome and the fry bread to die for. I recommend, PS ask for a top floor room if you dont have kids, there are often families staying.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank lovemyplanet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Portland, OR
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed here because we had booked whitewater rafting in Maupin and my husband isn't big on long (or even sort of long) drives and even though we've lived in Portland for 13 years, we've never been here. It's okay...but not even close to the upscale, glorious destination resort that it portrays itself as.

The positives:
The views really are spectacular
The resort itself could be quite lovely
The rooms are large
Robes in the room is a very nice, upscale touch
I found the service overall to be quite attentive and friendly.

The neutrals:
The food is passable, though expensive

The negatives:
This is a resort in desperate need of a renovation---really the potential is there (like the fab fireplace in the lobby), but everything's so very down at its heels
For a resort, other than golf there isn't whole lot to do--more activities would be great
While everyone's nice, they're very cheap in some ways. I asked for more shampoo and conditioner at the front desk (we're three hairy people)--and they gave it to me, while advising me I could buy more in the gift shop if I really needed it.
Silly, unnecessary elements (I work in hospitality, BTW). Most hotels simply allow you to sign or use your room key for room charging. Here we had to carry around the little paper hotel charge "card" with us. Ditto no epress/in room check out. Like limited service airport properties have had since 1990!
Although the rooms are large, they're shabby and poorly equipped (except for the robe). My room had a 20" tube TV----I think Motel 6's offer better than that!
I don't gambel, but my husband said the casino was quite lame.
I've noticed people here raving about the main pool. REALLY??? Cause they kinda sucked---like one step up (and just barely) from city pools. Two mediocre, old slides are not impressive (or worth $4 per person). And the teeny lodge pool (again) was inferior to most airport properties.

I paid a really low rate ($89) but would be seriously upset if I paid more than that!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank zumpie
portland, or
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2011

Which isn't even the worst of it. First, called front desk to have the condom that was found behind my bed removed by housekeeping. Second, housekeeping didn't come. Third, had to get my 4 year old dressed and drag him to the front desk because they stopped answering the phone. Finally, was issued a receipt for a refund of my room charge and offered another room. Two weeks later, have talked to several people including Terrence who is supposedly some sort of manager and have been told that I must have been mistaken, the room charge credit was before I paid for my room so actually I didn't get that credit and was never supposed to. As of yesterday Terrence was going to talk to the person who issued the credit for clarification and get back to me. Guess what, haven't heard from him. Apparently, the hotel makes enough on the casino to not give a rat about the people who pay to stay at the hotel. Will NEVER recommend this place to anyone, even though the water park was pretty fun.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank summitmn

Travellers are raving about these Warm Springs hotels

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2011

We stayed here on our road trip after visiting mount hood, traveling onwards to Crater Lake. This place reminded me of the building style Walt Disney World used when it just opened.

I found out later this hotel was built in 1972, (one year after Walt Disney World opened ;) and is run and owned by native indians. I like this style of architecture, but to most people it probably feels a bit dated.

The resort is in the middle of nowhere, not too far from Warm Springs, we stayed here because the drive from Mount Hood National Forest to Crater Lake was a bit too much.

Normally I wouldn't complain about the size of a room when it's large; but this room was humongous! In fact it was so big that the two king beds almost seemed to disappear (ok, i'm exaggerating slightly ;)

The beds were fine, we had two kings, and had a large balcony overlooking the desert landscape. Bathroom thingies were actually very nice: "eco-friendly stuff called BeeKInd, by Gilchrist and Soames from London.

The lighting was very bad though, and a funny detail was that the two framed Photographs in our room were identical! ( nice photo though, of an indian tribe )

The price was somewhat spendy for what you get, but if you go into the Casino you can get your (soft) drinks for free. You're even allowed to smoke in certain areas of the Casino, something I haven't seen for a while :)

I would recommend this place if you are a fan of quirky seventies architecture, or if you need a place to stay between visiting Mt. Hood and Crater Lake. I wouldn't want to stay here for a longer period though...

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Geert Jan B
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2011

but service is so-so and they charged a $50 deposit to my credit card but failed to tell me (usually, a deposit is required for a hotel, but the only thing ever mentioned about this was a sign at the front desk saying $50 dep. required for CASH payments....not credit cards.) . The carpet in our room was stained and gross---I have never even stayed at a cheap motel and had carpets like that. there are balconies w/ great views from every room, and the beds were comfy. Pools are EXCELLENT. well worth it, even the $4 fee to use the water slides (pool passes are included with room price). had dinner at Chinook Room, it was ok, buffet was good, but menu items were so-so. reasonable prices though. the impression we got was almost every employee there especially in customer service, didn't seem to give a hoot about anything, especially paying patrons. everyone seemed very lethargic and half-asleep, when we asked any questions, even just about where to buy some aspirin, there was a blank stare. OTHER than that, the pools, views, weather is great. just don't go expecting a whole lot more.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 4th floor, noise above from footsteps very loud in morning. recommend staying on to...