“Never knew it was there.”

Fort Dalles Museum and Anderson Homestead
Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in The Dalles
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This museum served as a military fort in the mid-1800s. Opened as a history museum in 1905 Anderson Homestead dates back to 1890-house, privy,granary,barn Antique Horse Drawn Vehicles and Early Automobiles
Reviewed 18 August 2017

We have traveled through The Dalles a few times and never knew this treasure was there.
Amazed how lovely the house is. Lots of interesting things to look at. Get there early so you can see everything. The view of where the house sits is amazing.
Loved how the Anderson Homestead was moved to this area also.
The ladies that were at the house when we were there are very informative about both houses.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

I visited all the buildings that are part of this museum and was pleased with every one. At The Anderson Homestead I was greeted by a docent in period dress who gave me a brief history of her time at the house and offered me a freshly made cookie while I wandered around. The house had interesting collections and antiques throughout. At the museum itself, I was particularly taken with the huge collection of arrowheads which had been collected along the riverbanks of the region and the collection of brands from the ranches. There was so much interesting local history documented in this museum. Also interesting were the carriages and various modes of transportation in the back sheds and barn. Fort Dalles Museum was definitely worth the stop.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

We have seen the sign for this many times as we have passed through the Dalles this time we made time to stop. It cost 8 dollars a person.
We really did not have high hopes but boy were we wrong ! This museum has a neat collection of items ,paintings and building saved from the area and moved to the site,They have a collection of old Autos as well, The Anderson homestead was really a fun place to tour, There were people with children and they seemed to enjoy the tour of the old barn that has a room set up as an old classroom. When you go I hope you get a docent as lovely as the young lady who led us around telling us neat stories and answering our questions( I cannot remember her name but she had beautiful waist length brown hair)She made our visit fantastic!
If you get a chance you should visit .

Reviewed 1 August 2017

I would only recommend paying to visit if you have a specific interest in the pioneering or military history of the immediate area. I specifically wanted to see the homestead as my ancestors came to The Dalles on the Oregon Trail. It was interesting picturing them living in a similar situation.

Reviewed 19 July 2017

This small collection offers more architectural interest than exhibits. Inviting and pleasant, it appeals mostly to adults.