“Rarely surprised but Screen Door exceeded expectations!”
Review of Screen Door

Screen Door
Ranked #12 of 4,676 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Screen Door presents a revival of regional American cuisine, a survey of the south, from South Carolina Lowcountry cuisine to soul food and Cajun one-pot cookery to the refined Creole and French preparations found in New Orleans. We celebrate Southern cuisine from the quintessential hearty fare to the everyday foods gathered fresh from the garden. At Screen Door we serve natural, local and organic produce and meats everyday. Central to our concept is weaving the rich bounty of local fresh produce found here in the Pacific Northwest into our menu.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Visited this week for the first time, based on reviews and word of mouth from friends. We weren't looking for fancy, just good comfort food and experience. The experience was particularly good on all accounts. Fried chicken was really tasty and moist, mashed potatoes were excellent texture and cole slaw was perfect, along with the fresh carrots... so food we tried was really good! Portions were large so we had dinner the next night too! And our server was excellent - timely, genuinely helpful. And though restaurant is crowded, it didn't feel overbearing. All at reasonable prices! Many thanks and will repeat!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Since Screen Door is an O.G. Portland brunch place, overexcitement got the best of me. The group that I was with LOVED the food and decor, which I was happy about. I think that I expected more healthy options, which had mostly run out by late morning. I would highly recommend getting there earlier in the day to make the most of the food they offer, and to (hopefully) avoid long lines and crowds. Overall, it was a great experience–the food was just lacking, in my opinion.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Recently went to Portland for a girl's day. When ready for lunch we searched "restaurants near me". Screen Door was the first we came across that we didn't recognize as a chain. So glad we found it. One of our party decided to splurge and order the Chicken and Sweet Potato waffle and let me try a bite. It was soooo good. The chicken was cooked to perfection and chicken really does taste good with maple syrup. My meal was the Oyster Po Boy. Another great selection. Well worth the wait and service was excellent. Can't wait to eat here again.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Wow! We were lucky the wait was only about 10 min at 9:30 on a Tuesday morning. We ordered the waffle/fried chicken, the shrimp & grits, and the huevos rancheros (1/2 order) and it was SO much food, but incredibly tasty. Chicken was awesome- flavorful, great spice! Shrimp & grits were perfect - texture, spice...coffee was good too! Definitely a place to go...when we left at about 10:45 there was a very long line, so go on the earlier side if you don’t want to wait that long.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Screen Door lives up to all of the hype and is well worth the long wait (although we were lucky and only had to wait for 15 minutes)! We enjoyed a completely decadent brunch of chicken and waffles (wow -- who knew that sweet potatoes make for great, light waffles?!), shrimp and grits (best I've ever had), blood orange mimosas, and delicious coffee. We recommend anyone visiting Portland make time to dine at Screen Door. Thanks to our waiter Duke, we made terrific menu choices and enjoyed one of the top ten meals of our lives!

Been to Screen Door? Share your experiences!