“Simply incredible!”

Ranked #12 of 4,673 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Screen Door presents a revival of regional American cuisine, a survey of the south, from South Carolina Lowcountry cuisine to soul food and Cajun one-pot cookery to the refined Creole and French preparations found in New Orleans. We celebrate Southern cuisine from the quintessential hearty fare to the everyday foods gathered fresh from the garden. At Screen Door we serve natural, local and organic produce and meats everyday. Central to our concept is weaving the rich bounty of local fresh produce found here in the Pacific Northwest into our menu.
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Wow! We were lucky the wait was only about 10 min at 9:30 on a Tuesday morning. We ordered the waffle/fried chicken, the shrimp & grits, and the huevos rancheros (1/2 order) and it was SO much food, but incredibly tasty. Chicken was awesome- flavorful, great spice! Shrimp & grits were perfect - texture, spice...coffee was good too! Definitely a place to go...when we left at about 10:45 there was a very long line, so go on the earlier side if you don’t want to wait that long.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,246)

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Screen Door lives up to all of the hype and is well worth the long wait (although we were lucky and only had to wait for 15 minutes)! We enjoyed a completely decadent brunch of chicken and waffles (wow -- who knew that sweet potatoes make for great, light waffles?!), shrimp and grits (best I've ever had), blood orange mimosas, and delicious coffee. We recommend anyone visiting Portland make time to dine at Screen Door. Thanks to our waiter Duke, we made terrific menu choices and enjoyed one of the top ten meals of our lives!

Reviewed 20 March 2018

We've been to this restaurant a few times, whenever in Portland, and I have to say it is our favourite. Whether we're there for the chicken & waffles at brunch or the fried chicken for dinner, the chicken is always excellent. This is our favourite for fried chicken. Portions are large and service is also excellent.

Reviewed 17 March 2018

I don't even know where to start to tell you that the food here will change your life...But it will.
The portions are huge, so bring a friend to share. The wait is worth it, so maybe have a topic or two to discuss with said friend.
The staff is hilarious and wonderful, the ambiance is very screen door like.
I love this place and if I ever make it back to Portland a herd of sheep couldn't stop me from going there again.

Reviewed 10 March 2018

One year from the same day I visited in the prior year I came back for a second bout with the chicken buttermilk biscuit sandwich with sausage gravy, cheesy grits, and side order of Praline Bacon. This year I ate the entire meal. My Kung Fu is better than theirs!!!! My brother joined me on this special occasion and had the Praline bacon and the Alabama omellette. The meals are huge, some of the biggest in Portland. The value is there and the quality is there, but you have to go during the weekday because the weekend always has a waiting line that goes around the block. For glorious artery clogging pleasure accept no substitute, The Screen Door rules! Did I mention I became one with the universe after this meal.........................I did.........really...........

Been to Screen Door? Share your experiences!