“Favorite PDX restaurant by far”
Review of Le Pigeon

Le Pigeon
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Pigeon is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 21 - USD 100
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: 8th Avenue
Transit: #12 and #20 buses.
Reviewed 29 June 2017 via mobile

They have been knocking it out of the park for years and we have been loyal customers since shortly after they opened.

It is a cute small restaurant and it can be tough to get reservations. It's close to downtown which is nice if you are visiting. It is well known to be one of Portland's best restaurants so plan ahead if you want a table. If it is only going to be two of you, our trick is to go right when they open. They allow walk-in's for the chef's bar and keep those stools open from reservations. I actually prefer to sit there so I can watch the chefs do their magic.

The menu is switched up regularly and is seasonal and extremely thoughtfully prepared. Everything I have ever had here is magnificent so you really can't go wrong. A good bet would be the tasting menu if you want to try a wide variety of their skill set. It's not cheap by any means, so come prepared to spend a few bucks.

Their sommelier is excellent and will send you in the right direction for wine. Take his advice as he knows what is great and what will compliment your meal. If you do the tasting menu, there is a matching wine option as well.

This is a special place for a special occasion but it is not snooty or pretentious. I often eat here in jeans but there are typically people much more dressed up as well. All are welcome and I have never felt out of place (one time I even went in a t-shirt). The staff is welcoming and knowledgeable. The tip is included in the meal so you don't have to worry about that.

Oh, and no matter what else you do, order the profiteroles for dessert! Trust me on that one. Absolutely amazing.

Reviewed 24 June 2017

Dining at Le Pigeon was a wonderful experience. My fiancé and I made reservations for a Thursday night at 7:30pm a few weeks prior (The restaurant was completely booked for Friday night and the weekend). I ordered the Foie Gras Teriyaki, Crispy Peppered Lamb Shoulder, and Foie Gras Profiteroles. The Foie Gras Teriyaki was a delicious appetizer. The Foie Gras was creamy and complimented perfectly with crispy duck and matcha fried rice. The teriyaki sauce added a light sweet flavor to the dish. The lamb was perfectly cooked and so tender it literally cut like soft butter. Finally the Foie Gras Profiteroles are arguably Le Pigeon’s signature dish. The dessert was unlike anything I have ever eaten. The Foie Gras Ice Cream was creamy, sweet, lightly salty, flavorful, sandwiched between flakey pastries and topped with a sweet caramel sauce and powdered sugar. Be aware the restaurant is completely made up of community seating so you will likely be sitting next to strangers. Le Pigeon is a must visit when in Portland.

Reviewed 14 June 2017 via mobile

I came here with my friend who I haven't seen for years. We decided to meet in Portland and came here for our first reuniting dinner.

We started with the pork belly. It was quite nice. The combined flavor of the pork belly and sauce was quite good, and I appreciated our waiter for this appetizer explaining the dish. The pork belly wasn't as fatty as I thought, which was a pleasant surprise. The taste made both of us looking forward to our entrees.

For my entree, I ordered the special of the day, fish. The dish looked pretty and complicated, but the waiter of this dish never explained the entree like the previous waiter. It was a bit disappointing, but it didn't bother me too much. As for the dish itself, I found the fish quite boring. There were two fish chunks that had absolutely no flavor. I'm not talking about seasoned flavor but the fish natural taste. The sauce didn't rescue the fish in any way. I liked the wonton/dumpling. The wrapping skin was chewy and I liked it. But I failed to see how the wonton was complimentary/complementary to the fish. Because the stuffing flavor was being neutralized by the wrapping skin. It was whole by itself. I actually liked the wonton/dumpling even though the flavor wasn't wow! I do wish they could put in one or two more. Overall, the whole entree wasn't harmonized and was not impressive in any way.

I ordered their seasonal cake for dessert. Without any surprise, it was brought out by another waiter. The dessert looked way nicer than how it tasted. The bitterness from the edelweiss overpowered the whole thing and created an odd combination taste with the champagne sorbet.

This experience as a whole was a bit below average. I'm not sure if it's the culture of this restaurant....I don't understand why we didn't have one assigned waiter/waitress. The dishes were brought out by different people, and they weren't the friendliest people in the world. My water wasn't constantly refilled, but our conservation did get consistent interruptions by different waiters inquiring about the food.

I liked that their kitchen is outside so we could see how they made the food, and their dish presentations were good. As for food tastes and service, I was really not satisfied.

1  Thank tesa_jones
Reviewed 31 May 2017 via mobile

We were visiting Portland from New York and have been to many of New York's finest restaurants, as well as some amazing restaurants in France. Our meal and experience at Le Pigeon was among the best we've ever had! We had the 5 course tasting menu along with the reserve wine pairing. We were fortunate to be seated at the counter so we watched as the head chef, along with his two sous chefs, prepared and plated the dishes. Each course was perfection! Gourmet at its finest. Each wine also complemented the course with which it was served. And le Pigeon was void of the pretentious environment that you find at so many renowned restaurants. In fact, Gabriel Rucker, owner and head chef, came over and chatted with us at the end of the meal. He is friendly and down to earth. He is also an incredible chef! Should we pass through Portland again, we will no doubt visit this restaurant and I encourage everyone else to do the same. In the meantime, we will look out for chef Rucker in New York, as he told us that he sometimes makes a guest appearance in our hometown.

1  Thank metzmom
Reviewed 28 May 2017 via mobile

My husband raved about this chef and his two JB's awards, we had to go experience his food. Although the staff was experienced, there was a good wine selection for pairing with the meal, the food was a disappointment: overthought, busy combinations not pleasant for the pallet. I was looking forward to eat prawns with prosciutto Benedict. The plating was sloppy, so much going on in the plate that you forget the eggs were good. The prosciutto was wet, soggy, from the sauce combination and the prawns had no taste, absorbed on the juices of the plate. What a waste of a good combination and perfect cooked egg!! Too much. My halibut with chorizo was also anticipated. Unfortunately, again, too much going on the plating, which was far from elegant, made the great halibut-chorizo combination lost in the conception. There were so many other combinations in the plate that made me wonder what the chef wanted to accomplish. The couple next to us ordered the burger and the prawns. Even though they loved the burger, the prawn/prosciutto combination got lost on the palate and they had a hard time eating it too. Raves for the burger (But if I want a burger I go to 5 guys). I left the restaurant thinking that I will not be back. I wondered which plates were eaten to give the chef his latest JB award. I wondered why they called themselves French bistrô. I went home hungry.

1  Thank Crisskier