“Love this food”

Mama Leo's
Ranked #1,513 of 4,430 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 29 December 2014

The food here is just so good. My whole family love it here and my brother's family and parents drive from way across town just to go here. The woman who I think is the owner is very sweet and helpful. Everything is gluten free and the menu is also helpfully labeled with vegetarian and vegan options. We've tried several menu options and they're all great. I love the beef empanadas and my husband loves the pork platter and also the chicken arepas. I'd recommend the appetizer platter that comes with a taste of several things including a salsa I could eat with a spoon. I love that I can have a gluten free IPA with my yucca fries and plantains!

Reviewed 22 November 2014

We just had our third meal at Mama Leo's. This time we had guests from Brazil and Colombia and were anxious to see just how authentic the cuisine was. It was a home run! They were impressed with the quality of several of the menu items, including the yucca, buneulos, and two varieties of arepas (Colombian and Venezualan styles). We have tried chicken, shredded beef, and several sides and starches and everything is very flavorful. FYI, this cuisine is not spicy hot, you are going to enjoy more subtle flavors. Finally, I was so impressed that the owner would not let us order the plantain dessert this time because "they didn't have enough sweetness in them". Definitely a highly-recommended choice.

Reviewed 21 November 2014

My husband is gluten free. I am not. We were both completely satisfied and impressed with this meal. The roasted chicken was so flavorful and delicious, and the coconut rice makes me want to go home and learn how to cook Colombian! Delicious flan, too! The menu is completely gluten free, but completely authentic and completely delicious!

Reviewed 12 November 2014

I love this place, it's in my neighborhood and adds a much needed variety of food from all the surrounding pho restaurants. Service was great and we were well taken care of. Shortly after we sat down a nice arepitas appetizer arrived which we quickly gobbled down while contemplating the menu. We decided on the welcome platter to try a little bit of each appetizer. There were some tasty fried cheeses and a fried green plantain. The beer prices were cheap. I ordered the Venezuelan corn meal cake stuffed with cheese and shredded chicken and my husband ordered the same one with the avocado sauce. It was just the right amount of food and the dipping sauces were a nice touch.

Reviewed 10 November 2014

The food is really delicious! The folks who run the place are really nice and very helpful. I can't wait to go back!!