“Delicious Hoinam Chicken and garlic rice”

Nong's Khao Man Gai
Ranked #39 of 4,676 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed 14 May 2017

We are here for lunch. It is our first meal of the day. The chicken is tender and the rice is tasty. We bought 3 bottles of the garlic sauce on our way out.

Reviewed 12 May 2017

This place doesn't look like much, which usually doesn't stop me. I was with locals who had recommended it, so I entered with an open mind. There was a line at the walk-up counter where you ordered, and most tables were full, so I felt assured I was going to get a good meal.

Not so...I ordered "Peanut Chicken" which was a (broiled?) chicken breast covered in a peanut sauce, over white rice, with some steamed broccoli on the side. Nothing about this plate was particularly tasty--in fact, the best part of the meal was the broccoli. Everything else was bland. Tables did have some very hot sauce and a strong garlic concoction, but my meal left me unsatisfied.

Reviewed 6 April 2017

I was so surprised at how good the chicken and rice was coz to be honest it was nothing to look at. It's hard to make a white chicken look appetizing since there's not much color to work with but man oh man was this dish sooooo soooo good. I had to get up in the middle of my meal and order another one. I love the broth that comes with the meal and that dip/sauce...oh my gosh...I love that their water is flavored too. This is a must visit when in PDX

Reviewed 16 March 2017

We went to their restaurant and tried their regular chicken feature and their peanut butter chicken entrée. For something as simple as chicken and rice, this restaurant has got it figured out. The chicken was juicy. The sauce was delicious with lots of ginger and garlic flavor to it. For those that like it spicier, don't forget the great chili oil. If I come back to Portland, I will be coming back to this place. There's actually a ramen place right next door as well.

Reviewed 3 March 2017

So, the only thing that might make this place better is to have a bigger menu. Right now it is mainly Hainanese Chicken Rice. You can also get it as a tofu version, a pork version, a peanut sauce version. The only one I tried was the chicken. And it was stunning.

The chicken itself is so moist and tender that you know it was freshly prepared. The rice and broth - essence of chicken. I don't think anything else needs to be said - it just tastes perfect.

I got take out, but watched people eating - and it was a nice, casual dining room (oddly you can get beer, wine, and cocktails - many made with tequila).

The process is easy (especially since the menu is so small) - order at the counter. If you are eating in, you get a number. If you are taking out, you give your name.

The packaging is stunning - no-waste, as you would expect in Portland. But it is packed so carefully that when you get it home - it is still perfectly fresh and ready to eat.

I love this dish - and it is the perfect thing to eat when you don't feel well, and even better when you are hungry. The sauces along with the cucumber and cilantro garnish wake this up to be as spicy and as full flavored as you could possibly want.

Now I want to go back!!