“Excellent food (funky parking)”
Review of Szechuan Chef

Szechuan Chef
Ranked #1,087 of 4,920 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 1 - USD 20
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Located in the beautiful city of Portland, our restaurant has been dedicated to offering the most memorable dining experience for you. We pick ingredients carefully and use only the freshest and natural food to prepare every dish. We try to cook in a healthier way to provide the most nutritious cuisine. Much attention has been attached to ensure you a cozy and inviting ambiance where you could enjoy not only the great meal but also the authentic atmosphere.
Reviewed 4 March 2018

We went to Szechuan Chef last month. There is a parking area with a sign for the restaurant, but with all of about five parking spots, the rest reading "Permit only." We ignored it (as did everyone else on a evening with a profusion of empty "Permit" spaces). After that the restaurant was a fine choice--great ambience, efficient and friendly staff--but the best part had to be the meals. We started with fine onion pancakes. Our party then had four entrees and each one was raved about in turn. I had the Szechuan Fried Squid, which comes heaping with red peppers. Easily moved to the side, in case you're worried. The squid was just the right combination of spicy and tender squid, fried up just right without getting overcooked as some places tend to suffer from. I tasted a beef with mushrooms dish too - excellent, but I forget the name. A very fine, worthwhile drive to get to SW. I highly recommend it.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed 24 January 2018

I absolutely LOVE this place ! Everything we order is delicious. Great vegetarian options too. The fried tofu, eggplant, and green beans are some of the best items on menu. I highly recommend this place. I've eaten there many times, and always bring my favorite friends and family when they are in town. It's my Favorite place in Portland for Chinese food. Service is also very good, fast friendly, and helpful.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 26 November 2017 via mobile

Sometimes busy, sometimes no people, depends on your luck, food not cheap not expensive, like real Chinese food in China

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 30 June 2017

Th food was excellent, but I notice d that Server did not wash hand after using restroom. I really doubt about their hygiene practice.

Date of visit: June 2017
Reviewed 24 May 2017

Wanted to try Chinese food and came across this place as it's next to Pier 1 Imports in South Portland.

The food was okay, nothing extraordinary. I had the green beans and beef lunch. The beef was on the tough side, and the whole dish was rather greasy. Afterwards, I had a headache for the rest of the day so I suspect they used either MSG or a lot of salt.

My friend wanted something touristy and ordered the sweet and sour pork lunch. The pork chucks were dipped in a batter that was rather bland and somewhat soggy i places. The sweet/sour sauce was typical of Chinese restaurants.

The hot-sour soup was reasonably good. It was a nice blend of spices to be tangy without being overwhelming.

The service was mediocre. We were seated promptly and our order taken reasonably soon thereafter. But we felt as if we were the ones bothering the waitstaff: other than the perfunctory "thank you" at the end, there was no eye contact, smiles, or any other interactions that made us feel welcomed.

Szechuan Chef is a Chinese restaurant that's not in Chinatown. Rather, it's in the South Portland neighborhood in the Water Tower complex (look for the Pier 1 Imports).

Date of visit: May 2017