“You gotta go!”
Review of Guero

Guero
Ranked #495 of 4,611 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 3 - USD 12
Description: No. 1 Tortas!
Description: No. 1 Tortas!
Reviewed 9 December 2017

I made plans to meet a friend for lunch at 11, which is just when Guero opens. Parking (unless you'll be there no more than an hour) was a pain, but I finally found a spot a couple of blocks away. On a sunny day not a problem - figured I'd walk off some of the delicious food I was anticipating!

We were the first customers of the day. You order at the counter, but we grabbed a seat and chatted awhile before deciding. If the place was crowded, I'm sure that would be frowned on. Anyway, we ordered a Carnitas Torta ($9.50) and the Ahogada ($9) along with their Esquites ($3).

Both sandwiches were AMAZING! We asked for them to go light on the habanero slaw and it was just the right amount of spicy for both of us. The Esquites (corn sautéed with chili and garlic with an aioli and coteja cheese was spicier, and while tasty, I would have preferred some char on the corn.

By the time we were "talked out" the place was full and noisy. We patted our stomachs, and made our way to our cars fully satisfied and vowing to return with our husbands in tow. The small piece of the torta I was able to resist eating was thoroughly enjoyed by my DH, so I'll get no argument there!

Reviewed 14 November 2017

OK. Just sandwiches and bowls. But wow. Delicious. Packed with flavor. I had the Ahogada sandwich. Pork shoulder and spices. It was impressive. Because it is near Burnside, parking is a pain. It's a popular place, so go early or be prepared for a little wait. But worth it. And good prices.

Reviewed 12 November 2017

We went for drinks on a Friday late afternoon. Not crowded in the least. No Happy Hour that we saw, but our drinks, while expensive, were quite tasty. Tasteful decor and the tall guy wearing shorts on a chilly November night was friendly and efficient with our drink orders. Would I go back? In a flash ... especially to try their food!

Reviewed 26 August 2017

This is a great place for really good, authentic tortas. While not cheat (my carnitas torta was $9.50), it was definitely big enough for two meals -- if you can stop eating it!

Reviewed 16 August 2017

It's not every day you come upon a place like this. The food is phenomenal. The flavors are so rich and spicy. I did not partake in the cocktails as it was lunch time during work hours but I would love to sip a margarita while enjoying the cart bowl. Absolutely delicious and worth every penny. Check this place out if you love tortas!