“Romantic dinner”

Jake's Famous Crawfish
Reserve with OpenTable
Jake's Famous Crawfish is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #52 of 4,676 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 10 - USD 40
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: SW Stark
Transit: Light Rail: Stops @SW 10th ave/Galleria. Walk 2 blocks up to 12th Ave, take a right and come 3 blocks down to SW Stark St. Trolly: Heading North; Trolly stops at 10th Ave & SW Stark St, walk 2 blocks up Stark Street. Heading South; Trolly stops at 11th Ave and Washington, walk 1 block up to 12th Ave turn right and come 1 block down Stark St.
Description: Jake's Famous Crawfish features a variety of fresh fish and seafood flown in daily, making a true Pacific Northwest statement using fresh Northwest products and served in a traditional and timeless presentation.
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

Jake's holds a special place in my heart for Portland dining. Whether it's a romantic dinner for two, a special family get-together, or a celebratory business meal, Jake's always meets the occasion. My most dinner was the Shrimp Newburg. While there were more interesting offerings on the menu that night, not many places offer the Newburg and it was nicely prepared and delicious. Service was very enjoyable as usual. Atmosphere is unbeatable, there's always a fun buzz at Jakes and that's a huge part of downtown dining.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,438)

Reviewed 10 April 2018

The service at this place was outstanding! The main server we had was able to pick our meals without even looking at the menu. She also nailed the appetizers for our group of 8. Everything we had was very good. The calamari, clam chowder, and surf and turf was extremely fresh. I will come back next time I visit Portland.

Reviewed 8 April 2018 via mobile

This is a classic with excellent fresh seafood. Nothing crazy imaginative but well done and very solicitous service. Great oysters

Reviewed 8 April 2018

I first ate at Jake's in about 1958—the exact year escapes me—when I came with my grandparents from a small town in Eastern Oregon; my grandfather had land surveying instruments to be calibrated in Portland. The restaurant as I saw it last Sunday was as I recall it from that first visit, and from many other visits in the intervening years. The atmosphere is one that many "pubs" in the US try to recreate. Jake's has maintained its decor over the years pretty much as it has been from the beginning, it seems to me—oak wainscoting, oak booths, brass rails, Tiffany lamps, stained-glass insets in the ceilings, white linen tableclothes, servers in white coats—although I'm sure there have been changes that I don't register. A few years ago, Jake's became a part of the McCormick & Schmick seafood chain, which subsequently was bought up by another chain. Other restaurants running under the McCormick & Schmick brand lost their linen tableclothes and their daily menus listing the provenance of the seafood being served that day. Jake's somehow managed to stave off that change. There is nothing avant-garde about Jake's; I'm sure the menu would have looked much the same in 1892, when it was founded. Well, no rare ahi tuna then. Of course, if you go to Jake's, you're there for the seafood. One of our party, however, had the New York steak; he claimed it was excellent. The provenance of the oysters on the half-shell was listed on the menu—about eight varieties—as was some of the other seafood. Two of our party ordered a dozen oysters in three different varieties, and found them to be very tasty. The other three of us had the fried calamari with three dipping sauces; I liked especially the green sauce with horseradish. For entrees, besides the steak, we had a dozen pan-fried yearling oysters (one of the non-raw oyster eaters), pan-seared petrale sole, the crab leg tortellini, and the blackened rare ahi tuna with cucumber salad. Everyone was very happy with their choices; I tasted the petrale sole and the tortellini, and I would have been happy with either choice. The diner who chose the ahi said that it was yummy. The sides were nothing fancy but good nonetheless. None of us had crawfish. Nor did we have dessert, but the memories of Jake's Famous Truffle Cake—chocolate chocolate—stick with me. Two of us had wine: a 5 oz. carafe and an 8 oz. carafe, of a red (I've forgotten what) that they were perfectly well satisfied with. It was a pricey meal: it came to ~$350 including tip. But worth it. The server at our table was very pleasant, knowledgeable and accommodating. Save your visit for a special occasion; if you're passing through and have the opportunity, be sure to take it. At most times, you'll likely need a reservation. Or have a lengthy wait, which you can spend in the bar.

Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

We first ate here 2 years ago and went back a few days ago. Had a lovely evening of shared appetizers with drinks. Enjoyed every bite. Also had a very good server, pleasant and delightful.