“Fresh drinks and excellent food!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #140 of 4,221 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 21 - USD 30
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Rochester, New York
“Fresh drinks and excellent food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

Went here on a Friday night with girlfriends. It was busy and we waited, but not very long. We sat at the bar and had a few drinks, which were delicious. It got a little crowded near the bar with people waiting to be seated, but I think there is also a place outside to wait that is heated. Our server was very friendly and attentive. We ordered from the appetizer menu and shared everything. The ceviche was outstanding. I also ordered the sopes, and they were just ok, but everything else was fabulous! Would return for another visit.

Portland, OR
“Outstanding non-Mexican food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Okay, if you're judging a restaurant by it's name, you might think this to be your typical Mexican restaurant. But, let me tell you... this is as far removed from enchiladas, tacos, and refried beans as you could possibly get.
The restaurant is a little on the smallish side and even with outside seating during nicer weather, can get a little crowded on the weekend. They don't take reservations, so it's not unusual to see a line waiting for the 5 o'clock opening. I think the best seats in the house are at the counter overlooking the open kitchen. You get a fine meal with a floor show and if you're undecided about which entree to order, linger over an appetizer and one of their signature hand-muddled margaritas. You'll get to see the dishes prepared and passed off to the servers. After all, you eat with your eyes also, and this can help in the decision making process.
My wife and I have been to Nuestra Cocina numerous times and have never been disappointed. Their nightly specials usually include some sort of ceviche, a featured appetizer, a fish dish, and a meat dish.
We started our last meal off with the albondigas (meatballs) appetizer. Made from beef and pork served in a delicious sauce accented with nopalitos (cactus) and a little fresh cilantro. I don't know what was in the sauce, but you could give it to me in a cup with a straw and I would have been happy! $7
For the main course, we chose the same entree, which we rarely do, but it sounded so good. Escolar is a fish that we've had many times in a sushi restaurant, but haven't seen anywhere else. It was offered grilled, served on a bed of wilted greens and a green mole sauce with white beans. To borrow a phrase from one of my grandkids...OMG! There was absolutely nothing that I could fault on this dish. The fish was grilled perfectly with a nice little crunch on the outside to complement the buttery smoothness on the inside. A minute more in either direction and it would have been underdone or overdone. The greens were not cooked to a soggy mess, but still had some body to them. The mole verde was outstanding and with a few white beans that didn't overshadow the sauce. $19
I was completely satisfied, so when our waitress asked about dessert, I declined. She insisted that we share just one scoop of their coconut sorbet. Wow! I'm glad we did...light refreshing, and a bit of lemon along with the coconut. I believe they make their own ice cream, also.
With one glass of wine and an iced tea...we were out the door for $54, not counting the tip. The service was great in a casual, friendly atmosphere.

Oahu, Hawaii
“just a great place to eat...period.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

mexican like I've never had it. traditional and non-traditional but everything just great. the masa cakes were delicious starters. tortillas being made right in front of everyone. margaritas to die for. the flat iron steak cooked to perfection with a wonderful mole underneath. the escolar special was just moist and tender, had to lick the plate (hid under the table!). new menu items since last visit but still just a wonderful meal. had a long saturday nite wait of 1.5 hours but since we were only in town for the weekend, I wanted to stay. just a great meal everytime.

Portland, Oregon
“AWESOME”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

EVERY dish i (& others) have ever ordered was just prepared very well and absolutely delicious!
I would recommend this to anyone. Unfortunately, they do not take reservations..so, arrive early.

Portland, Oregon
“Great local tapas bar with superior food, drinks, and service.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

My wife and I love Tapas...Spain, Argentina, Mexico, and now...Portland! Started with Chili Relleno and Ceviche, both were excellent especially the relleno. Wonderful margaritas with both the appetizers and mains. For mains: braised pork and short ribs. Again both dishes were beautifully prepared and absolutely delicious! And the service! Everyone was friendly and totally on it but we had the best server; Colleen! She made the entire experience special with her sincere and fun manner. We will be back!!!

• Visited December 2011