“A rare chance at Cambodian food in Portland. ”
Review of Mekong Bistro

Mekong Bistro
Ranked #877 of 4,850 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: Cambodian
Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

After returning from a recent trip to Cambodia I was longing for Khmer cooking. Mekong didn’t disappoint.... well actually they did. I went for the Ah-Mok which I had thoroughly enjoyed while in Siem Reap. Unfortunately I was told they didn’t have it the day I was there. So I ordered something else off their extensive menu. Delicious. My girlfriend ordered soup. It was divine.
I can’t say it was as good as much of what we ate while in SE Asia but it also didn’t cost us a plane ticket and jet lag.

Reviewed 29 June 2017

Never again. Egg rolls were OK. Kao Soy was almost devoid of the promised ground pork and not at all spicy. The "special" Kao Soy with coconut milk also lacked a reasonable amount of ground pork - had to point out that there was no blood cake at all; the waitress eventually brought some blood cake that had been nuked for me to add - by then the soup was lukewarm. Nyum salad was not at all spicy and only had 3 medium shrimp with minimal flavor. We enjoyed the Hillsboro location before they closed and were looking forward to our first visit to the PDX location. Prices would have been acceptable but the quality was extremely disappointing. Service was attentive but what's the point?

Reviewed 29 March 2017 via mobile

My neice and I were in need of an early dinner and stopped at Mekong Bistro for a quick bite. She had visited previously and we frequently eat Vietnamese food so decided to try something new. We chose Crepes with Chicken and an old favorite Spicy Chicken with green beans. Excellent! Both dishes were well seasoned, with fresh vegetables, nice amount of chicken and with an assortment of spices on the table we were able to add heat as desired.
The wait staff was friendly but not intrusive. We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 24 December 2016

I was here for a quick lunch and overall it was great. The server could not have been sweeter or more helpful. She was young and seemed surprised when I asked her to recommend something authentic, but she took the job seriously. It was a soup reminiscent of a Thai soups only it was spicier and had a variety of meats I have never previously encountered. Seafood and organ meats (liver? not sure other than it was that dark). It was a delight. I also had their wings. Please don't judge. My love of wings borders on a mental illness. Their stab at the wing title had breathtaking SE Asian fragrant flavors that complimented the soup, but on wings they were a bright change of pace. My delightfully sweet server insisted on bagging up leftovers even though I told her to bring me a half order, but that I would pay for a whole. I knew I'd eat them all if I had a whole order. And in my rental car on the way to the airport later that day, I did in face snarf them down and loved every bite.
The only drawback is the strange atmosphere. It has this great Cambodian food and Cambodian-American Fusion, but it feels like you are in a sports bar with wedding reception furniture. Food wins, but it is odd.

Reviewed 4 May 2016

If you are a fan of Asian cuisine, I'd recommend at least giving this place a shot. They have a decent happy hour menu. Nothing spectacular about this place, but the food is good and cheap. Would definitely return.

Been to Mekong Bistro? Share your experiences!