“Hotel has potential but currently some issues”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #46 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Missouri
“Hotel has potential but currently some issues”
Reviewed 20 July 2012

I normally rate hotels that provide expected value a 4 or 5, and in some respects the Hilton deserves high ratings. However, I and others I was traveling with found a musty, stale, or mildew odor in our rooms and other areas like stairwells. I asked the front desk right away if there had been a water leak or other maintenance issue and they said no. However, within a few days I noticed a carpet cleaner truck parked outside using a long hose to go up the stairwells into the corridors. So number one caution (if smells bother you) is to call ahead and ask if the problem has been resolved.

Second issue is that there were 3 machines in the fitness center and one was out of service the whole time. Which means 2 is company, 3 is a crowd and I only had one opportunity to exercise (only once was a machine available). You can walk or run outdoors along the sidewalks - seemed pretty safe. There's a trail back toward the airport that goes along the river.

We had a business meeting at the hotel and I would rate the service and accommodations as, well, average. Nothing really bad, but nothing outstanding. We didn't eat there - breakfast is available as a buffet (I think around 8 bucks) or you can walk across the parking lot to McDonald's or about a block to Jack in the Box. Lunch or dinner options include a Chinese place, Subway, and a sports bar in the nearby shopping center. I got Chinese one night which was, well, average.

The room itself (other than the odor) was fine. The mattress was a little too firm. There's a fridge and microwave and plenty of space to stretch out. The bathroom was ok. The lobby is comfortable and most of the time I saw businesspeople on their computers or sitting at tables talking. There are free cookies at the front desk in the evening, and we got 3 "coupons" for water bottles at checkin (otherwise you have to pay for everything out of the mini-store).

There are a number of hotels in the area - probably 5 or 6 within walking distance - so I recommend checking around instead of assuming this Hilton is up to the usual standards.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
HGI01, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport, responded to this review, 1 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review in regards to your stay with our hotel. I apologize that you feel it was not up to the standards that should be expected of a Hilton. We do have a carpet cleaning company come in every Friday to do different sections of the hotel. However, as you suspected we did have a leak that was under the hotel by the stairwell area. We have had that issue resolved and all is well there.
The exercise machine has also been fixed. Of course the part that we needed for it was on back order. I apologize for this inconvenience!
We are going to be doing a renovation in the lobby and restuarant area that will be finished by the end of the year! It is going to be fabulous, so we hope that you will come back and give us another opportunity to give you the customer service that you deserve and check out our new look!!

Liz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Korean first
Seattle
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Love the fact that the hotel has an actual lobby where you can meet, sit and have a conversation. The optional onsite breakfast (they serve dinner too) has excellent variety, is well staffed and represents a great value. Our King room was relatively spacious and had enough functioning light fixtures and lamps so one can see. Even though the hotel sits directly under the approach path for the airport, we did not hear any aircraft noise - likewise with street noise. Appreciated the room darkening shades that worked. Unlike the refrigerator with a freezer that wouldn't freeze - repairing appliances apparently is not done on the weekends at this venue.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Rockwall, Texas
Reviewed 28 June 2012

One night due to late flight arrival.
Breakfast was very good - and very reasonably priced.
Great rate for a clean hotel with friendly service.
No complaints!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Western United States
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I was only here for one night. I got a great rate and it was the rack rate since it was a weekend. Well under $100. I was upgraded to a suite as HHonors Gold. I was offered free breakfast, but opted for bonus points instead as I had a tight flight to catch the next morning so I didn't get to have that.

The room was excellent. Standard Hilton Garden Inn there. Very comfortable. Clean. Quiet. Everything was functioning. Excellent, really.

The hotel itself is well maintained with a nice lobby, the expected fitness area, and a nice looking restaurant area. The staff was really friendly and seemed genuine about it too. Pretty typical for Oregon in general, when it comes to the great attitude.

I'd definitely stay here again. It was within about 7 minutes of the airport depending how well you hit the lights. Not too much within walking distance, though.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Rogue River, Oregon
Reviewed 1 June 2012

The Garden Inn at the Portland airport is comfortable and quiet, away from the city. The food in the restaurant is average and the service was good and friendly. Obviously being near an airport there is not much to do. My only complaint with the hotel is that the internet is somewhat slow, could use improvement. But overall I would recommend and it's only fifteen minutes (without traffic) into the city.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business