“Great Service in a nice Hilton Garden Inn”

Hilton Garden Inn Portland Airport
Ranked #46 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Castro Valley, California
“Great Service in a nice Hilton Garden Inn”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2012

This Hilton Garden Inn is what you expect. It is clean, nicely decorated, rooms are good size, with comfortable beds and good work space. What makes this one stand out is the service at dinner. The young woman who works the dinner shift is remarkable. She will get to know you the first time you have dinner. The second time you have dinner, as you walk in to the restaurant she will have your drink ready, just the way you like it. The dinner menu is adequate and the food is well prepared.
This is a good hotel for both business and leisure.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
La Palma, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2011

I stayed here on an overnight business trip. It is exactly what you would expect from a Hilton Garden Inn. I had a 2-room suite which was cozy and very roomy. The property was clean and new looking and I got the overall good service that I have come to expect from Hilton family hotels. They have a free shuttle service from the airport terminal, which is only about 3 minutes away. I called when I had my bags and the shuttle arrived to pick me up in less than 10 minutes.

As typical for a Garden Inn, breakfast is not included in the room rate, but it was complementary with my Hhonors gold status. The breakfast was adequate but not spectacular - a limited selection of fresh fruit and pastries, plus you could get hot items (eggs, french toast, etc.) to order.

Just a couple words of caution. First of all, if you don't have a car, there really aren't any restaurants nearby except for McDonald's. However, there are a few good restaurants in the airport terminal, so you can either eat at the terminal before calling the shuttle to pick you up, or perhaps the shuttle driver wouldn't mind running you back to the airport for dinner and picking you up an hour or so later. Second, it's located right on the main road leading into the airport, so the traffic can be a bit noisy at times (I could hear road noise from my room all night long). That's just a problem with location rather than the property itself. I imagine any of the other hotels along this stretch of road have the same issue, but the location is definitely very convenient. I am rating the "Sleep Quality" as average due to the road and airport noise. Other than that, this hotel gets high marks from me.

Room Tip: Get a room as far away from the street as possible.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

My recent experience with this hotel is very poor considering the Hilton chain.
I'm a business traveler so get in a lot of hotels My first night here, the cable TV was out.
In the morning when I was ready to shower, there was no water in the hotel. A pipe had burst on the upper floor. The person I was traveling with had to change rooms due to the water in his room.
Then because it's daylight savings I called the front desk to ask how to change the time on the clock and a very unfriendly front desk clerk said she didn't have any idea nor did anyone else. Are you kidding me.
There are countless hotels on this road and I'd stay clear of this one.

• Stayed November 2011
Maricopa, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

We were traveling in and out of Portland for one week. At first we stayed at another Hotel and I reviewed that one. We needed a change so we decided to try the Hilton as it was near the Airport. The overall appearance of this Hotel is good to very good. Our room was clean with really no issues that another guest listed--we were also on a senior discount. The hotel was quiet and we slept sound. There was a in room refrigerator and a small microwave oven which is a nice touch–we didn't use the oven but the refrigerator was nice to have. A morning paper was outside of our door–another nice touch. Of course your experience could be different but on 10/24/2011 we had no issues to list.

Room Tip: Try booking a room early in the day and request one on a high floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Niles, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at this hotel. It was a very nice stay. We had a problem with the heat (there was none) in the first room that we were assigned. The staff handled the problem quickly and moved us to the room next door right away. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. We ate at the hotel restaurant the first night we stayed. It was very good and very reasonably priced. The hotel had a good location near the airport and close for our drive to Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood. While we didn't use it, the pool looked very nice. The lobby area was very cozy with a fireplace and sitting area. The beds were extremely comfortable (love the Hilton Garden's dial your firmness option). The room was clean and housekeeping was friendly and efficient. The only negative that I noticed was that the noise from the planes was loud at time (but that's to be expected at an airport hotel) and the walls were a bit thin as we could hear the tv from the neighboring room. Otherwise it was a very nice hotel and a great value.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple