“From Old World Buffet to HK Cafe- A Nice Change”
Review of HK Cafe

HK Cafe
Ranked #343 of 4,850 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: USD 10 - USD 15
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 30 November 2017

First of all I like the place a lot. I think the decor has changed little from the World Buffet that previously occupied this space. So if you can get over the well worn decor, you will in for a very authentic Asian dining experience. We went at lunch time which is for the most part Dim Sum although you can order off the regular full menu as well. I thought it was very busy but I was informed that hour wait times at dinner are not that unusual. There was a large crowd of of mostly Asian folks dining at lunch which really added to my positive experience. Really good food and service. This is one place where I would willing wait an hour to eat. Parking is crowded but only because it is so busy. Fun times for sure. The bigger your group the better. We hit this pretty hard with 7 people and skated out for $85 plus a tip. Look at the back of your menu for help in determining what to order when the Dim Sum carts roll by. Have fun!

Reviewed 22 November 2017

from the Chinese men smoking right by the front door. When we entered the venue we were delighted to see that most of the patrons were Chinese tucking into their dim sum. Soon we did the same and is it ever authentic? Almost as good as the Hong Kong counterparts but the view outside cannot compare to Hong Kong. Very very tasty dim sum offered by servers pushing carts. very very tasty.

Reviewed 1 November 2017

Went here for dinner 1 night and then again for dim sum another day. The dinner was meh and prices were okay. Dim sum I thought was really good. At least the dim sum dishes were tastier than the regular menu for dinner. However with the dim sum it always seem to be too unorganized. You would have ladies in carts come by and then another worker holding trays to mix up the items on the carts etc. Next thing I knew, what I wanted wasn't in front of me anymore because with the mix up the lady went in another direction. But by all means that is minor as long as you can fend for yourself and go after the lady with the cart of the items that you want. They are slow to bring out food and takes what seems forever to get anything new out of the kitchen. Service could be better. We had to remind them 3 times we wanted another beer. Parking is inside a strip mall and so far on both occasions it was a little difficult to find parking within very close range to the restaurant.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

My husband and I love Dim Sum and are willing to travel to Portland (50 miles) for the real deal. So far we have tried Wongs, Ocean City and this place and we prefer HK Cafe. Ocean City comes in at a close 2nd but the wait tends to be much longer over there. The atmosphere is great with carts full of tasty dim sum plates getting pushed around the tables. We tend to love the more exotic/authentic plates such as braised chicken feet, tripe, pork stomach etc. Ocean City also has these authentic selections so it's really a toss up but again, you get seated quicker here and some plates might actually win the taste test here.

Reviewed 8 October 2017

We recently ate dim sum here with our party of 12. HK had to roll out a bigger table for our group. It was decent food. Heard that all the Asian foodstuffs and restaurants are all out on 82nd and that there is an abandoned Chinatown in downtown Portland.

1  Thank NinaCa