“DIY Pancakes!”

Slappy Cakes
Ranked #66 of 4,673 Restaurants in Portland
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast all day. Varied menu. Pancakes cooked at the table with multiple batters and condiments. Totally for children and child-like adults.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

You've seen YouTube videos of people squirting pancake batter from ketchup bottles, making their own lopsided unicorns and spaceships, yeah? Well, this is your chance to do that, without going to the hassle of the prep and clean-up!

You pay by the bottle. They have traditional buttermilk, chocolate, peanut butter, and something seasonal (blueberry lavender when we went). We tried them all except the peanut butter. Then you pay per type of topping, too. We didn't go super crazy with those.

The pancakes were actually really great pancakes (when we gauged their doneness appropriately), but the fun is why we came, and it lived up to the hype. My 9yo daughter wanted me to add this: "My review is 7 words: This place is uh mm aa zing!!!"

Reviewed 26 January 2018

We arrived at 8:30am on a Monday morning with a group of 7. We got the last table available. We sat around two of our own pancake griddles. We had a great time. We ordered a few bottles of pancake batter (including the oddly delicious blueberry basil), bacon, avocado toast, and potatoes. With the exception of the avocado toast, food was delicious! Bacon with think and crunchy. We also ordered a few toppings but didn't find them necessary. Some in our group did wish you could order sprinkles as a topping. The pancakes were excellent.

We were here for the unique experience and it exceeded our expectation! We had such fun creating clever pancakes including one shaped like the banana slug we saw while hiking the day before.

Arrive early for a limited wait. We parked in the neighborhood around the corner with no problem. If you think you're just paying for pancakes, it's expensive. If you think you're paying for a fun meal, it's awesome!

This was a great time. Don't miss out!

2  Thank MommaJage
Reviewed 15 January 2018

We had purchased paintings from our friends, Dingo Dizmal and Olive Rootbeer, well known street clowns in Portland. Olive suggested Several places, Slappy Cakes sounded interesting so we chose to meet there. We arrived a little before eleven and there were only a few people dinning. Reviewing the restaurant it was suggested to make reservations. It wasn't necessary at that time, however while we were eating, playing with our food and conversing it filled up and a line was forming at the door. There are traditional items on the menu such as Chicken Fried Steak but the lure is making your own pancakes. There were four flavored batters to choose. Buttermilk, chocolate, peanut butter, and caramel. There were numerous sides to choose from to adorn your cakes. Strawberries, blue berries, nuts, banana, Whipped cream, ect. sides are extra. There is maple flavored syrup waiting on the tables. A grill is in the center of each table. Well it was fun making designs and shaped cakes. The only restaurant I know where you are expected to play with your food. We had fun making silly faces and objects, laughed a lot and, well just had fun! It was an enjoyable lunch with very nice people. I expect that we will eat there again. It is a 90 minute trip so it is an area we don't often visit. We plan to eat there again with our gransons. This eatery is especially great for kids and for the kid in all of us.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I absolutely love that place! Now here's where things get tricky. It was my second time in Portland and our second day there. My hubby and I decided to eat out every chance we got. It was a hop and skip away from where we staying - off Hawthorne Blvd. It was a Saturday Morning and Brunch was being served, don't be intimidated if there is a line outside.
Now here's my philosophy question - I stand in line, wait for about 15-20 minutes just to make my own pancakes? Nah, That's a tad ridiculous for me. So we opted for the bar seats (where there is was no wait) and our pancakes/crepes were made right in front of us.

As for delectability I give Slappy Cakes and 9 out 10, the food definitely has the Portland charm and freshness with just enough grease - just the way I like it. The alternatives are also delicious and by alternatives I mean - almond or coconut milk instead of cow's milk. There is something for everybody, nut - free , dairy-free, gluten-free, vegan, vegetarian options. So you don't have to worry about not eating some great food and spending a whole bunch of money.

Although we walked, I can tell that parking would be a problem if you drove, because there is just street side parking and that in itself is very limited because they share a building with other businesses and I saw one more right next door being built.

Next time I'm in Portland, Slappy Cakes is definitely on my list to revisit.

Reviewed 28 November 2017 via mobile

Slappy Cakes isn’t the most amazing place for a cheap place to eat, you will want to make a reservation if you can! The wait time is incredible! The price is quite high but it is such a fun experience, especially with two or more people. If you travel to Portland, you have to go here!!

1  Thank aaron_nels11