All reviews windows closed max line yellow line small hotel room door chain hotels five nights explore portland full kitchen comfortable bed coffee maker minute walk hot water public transit easy access definitely stay here again neighborhood
Reviewed 21 September 2015

The Viking is a delightful family owned place. The staff are very attentive to the needs of their guests. The rooms are clean, nicely furnished and modern. There is a microwave and mini fridge for convenience. There is also a flat screen television with cable for your viewing pleasure. The bed are wonderfully comfortable. It is located across from the street car stop for a quick ride into the city. The only down side, was the wifi signal was weak and inaccessible most of the time.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lanny C
Reviewed 19 September 2015

Wanted an inexpensive, clean motel in North Portland. Found such at the Viking Motel.
Good size room, very clean, coffeemaker, free wi-fi, friendly service. Very accommodating for our request for hairdryer and extra coffee. One block from Max.
Two blocks from New Seasons market. All rooms non-smoking, but very nice covered patio on grounds for those who do smoke. Would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Small two story motel.TV Episode of Grimm was shot at this motel-if anyone happens to watch this Portland, Or based series.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 September 2015 via mobile

When the local Comfort Inn refused to honor their own coupon, I looked at reviews and found this great locally - owned motel. We were treated like family and were lucky enough to get the two room suite. Cooking after so long on the road and being able to have a full size refrigerator so we could have real ice cream was icing on a very great stay.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2015

I arrived late without reservation. The management placed me in a very clean and preserved room. Maintenance around the property was well kept. The staff were easy going and friendly. If your looking to getaway from the big corporate, poorly managed, and overpriced hotels, then Viking Motel is worth the extra mile.

Room Tip: Make a reservation. I was lucky and got the last room.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 August 2015

I stayed here when I dropped my son off at Reed, because this was well rated and had good rates. The staff here is lovely - the young woman who checked me in was very obliging and sweet (various issues came up, and she was fantastic in helping me). I needed a single room but only doubles were available, so she gave me a generous discount that basically eliminated the difference. There was an older gentleman who worked there as well, also very friendly. The area is heck and gone from Reed, although it is on the public train system (I had rented a car, so for me, it was a moot point, but the Rosa Parks metro stop is very close to the hotel). There is a wonderful coffee shop around the corner, and a very nice grocery store with great deli food at very reasonable prices. The area itself is not particularly nice, though, and the view out my window was of some sort of power plant structure. By far the biggest downside for me, though (other than the distance from Reed), was the very, very poor access to wifi. I was able to connect to the hotel's wifi maybe 10-15% of the time. Hotel staff say that the entire wifi will be redone in September, 2015, but this was a matter of sheer aggravation for me. The motel is pretty basic, but for the price that is fair. Now - when I made the reservation I never received an email confirmation (or any confirmation number). I spoke to them at a later point and specifically asked for email confirmation, which never arrived. All good, though, they still had my reservation. Like I said, great staff, some big downsides.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family