“Everyone should try the balkan food at this establishment”

Two Brothers Cafe & Grill
Ranked #770 of 4,363 Restaurants in Portland
Reviewed 14 June 2012

Having spent a summer interning in Bosnia, I've been on a perpetual and unsuccessful search for Balkan restaurants in the US since my return to the States eight years ago; unsuccessful until now.

Two Brothers Cafe & Grill serves authentic, outstanding Balkan food. We split the Cevapi (tasty, tasty sausages with delectably fresh cooked bread) and a Burek (thin, light philo dough stuffed with your choice of meat or cheese), which they unfortunately referred to as Bosnian Pita.

Burek I found to be the quintessential Bosnian meal at local, small-town restaurants. It's like no other sausage I've ever consumed, and among the tastiest of any sausage I've enjoyed. There's something unique about it that's impossible to explain. Burek is the standard bakery fare that Bosnians typically eat for breakfast, with fresh Greek yogurt, or late at night when returning from the "discos" or cafes. Both dishes were outstanding at this place and immediately transported me to northern Bosnia. We washed this meaty goodness down with Serbian Beer: "Jelen Pivo." This is a light, lager beer that, for some reason, I just find to be outstanding coupled with Bosnian food. The Bosnian beer selection is "Nektar." I prefer Jelen over Nektar, and have had a harder time finding Jelen in the US... so I naturally went with the Jelen.

The only complaint I have about Two Brothers Cafe & Grill is the people were just not very friendly. I found Bosnians to be among the warmest, most welcoming people in the world. Maybe we caught them on a bad day. But their restaurant was otherwise empty at about 12:30 in the afternoon on a Saturday. So I thought they might be a bit happier to see some patrons.

In any event, don't let the coolness of the proprietors keep you from the awesome food they serve. If you happen to be in the Portland area, you're not vegetarian, and you are adventurous about ethnic foods, give Two Brothers Cafe & Grill a shot.

3  Thank TacomaJoe
There are newer reviews for Two Brothers Cafe & Grill

Reviewed 10 February 2012

So I've been to this restaurant twice now, strangely located as it is on the corner of Belmont and Cesar Chavez. While I've had better goulash and gyros, the cevapi served with ayvar sour cream, chopped onions, and warm pita bread is seriously delicious. Anyway, you gotta give them props for representing the Balkans.

1  Thank LexPDX
Reviewed 7 April 2008

Excellent selection of Balkan food in an economical diner atmosphere. Authentic food from the Homeland. Their English is pretty good, too! ;-)

The dining experience for our two-family party - kids and all - was very comfortable and comforting.

The Goulash was not what I'd expected based on what my Grandmother always made - this was the real thing and Grandma needn't make it any more. The children had a delicious mac and cheese; definitely different and (after a little coaxing and assurance that, yes, you really will like this) much better than anything they'd ever had before - they quickly ate it up and wanted more. Others had a Serbian Gyro and Bosnian dishes that were remarkable. They also served excellent Turkish coffee, straight from your own little brass coffee pot, sugar bowl and spoon.

We've added this to our "Must" list of restaurants for future trips to Portland.

2  Thank GeoHI