“Great location and decent value in Portland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Park Lane Suites & Inn

Park Lane Suites & Inn
Ranked #49 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great location and decent value in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

My wife and I chose to stay at the Park Lane Suites and Inn because of it's price and proximity to downtown Portland. Truly, this was the best value that we could find for the proximity. The room was clean, it was quite and met our needs. Because of it's location, we were able to leave our car at Park Lane Suites & Inn and use Portland's mass transit to spend the day exploring downtown Portland. I'd stay again and I'd recommend Park Lane Suites to anyone.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
Sacramento
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We stayed in a ground floor unit at the Inn, a two-story motel building with exterior corridors located across the street from the main building. The room was small and clean, and furnished out of the IKEA catelogue. Nice flat screen TV, wifi, and free parking. There is no breakfast, but there's always coffee and tea available in the lobby. The reason to stay here is the excellent location. Park your car and explore Portland on foot or public transit. It's a 15 minute walk uphill to the Rose Garden, and 5 more minutes to the Japanese Garden. The neighborhood is on a hillside, with beautiful old homes mixed with modern high rise apartments. The Elephant Deli, located about two blocks west, serves a good breakfast in a relaxed, coffee house atmosphere. Downtown is a flat 15-20 minute walk.

Room Tip: In our ground floor room at the Inn, we could hear the guest upstairs rolling their suitcase across...
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

Who/Why: My friend and I took a first-time trip to Portland, Seattle and Victoria for a girls weekend. We are early 30s and have traveled extensively globally. As “low-maintenance” travelers, we had agreed we were more interested in spending our dinero on delicious local wine, craft beer and eats than on accommodations, but wanted to stay somewhere clean and convenient. We stayed here for 3 nights.

The Property: I called the Park Lane Suite & Inn from the MAX light rail that we took from the airport to the hotel (about 45 min). Andrew from the front desk answered and was very helpful in directing me to the JELD-WEN Field stop, which turned out to be about a short 5-minute walk away.

We knew we would have some time to kill, because we arrived in the AM, and check-in wasn't until 3 PM. Andrew was very helpful in locking our bags safely in storage until then, and provided maps and tips for where to go and how.

I see now that the professional pictures are dark and I feel they don't really do the location justice: it looks nicer than shown. What's also not clear from the pictures is that this property is a combination of 2. *The Suites are up the hill*, and where the reception desk and thoughtful regularly-replenished refreshments (iced citrus water, coffee, tea, apples, Pepperidge Farm cookies!) are located. *The Inn is down the hill*, and immediately across the street: THIS REVIEW IS FOR THE INN ONLY. Parking is available at both locations and on the street, but as we walked and used MAX only (Portland is very walkable), I cannot comment on its availability.

The Area: There are a couple of fast-food places nearby, as well as a Mexican restaurant we didn’t check out. Walgreens is across the street, as well as a friendly and affordable hair and nail salon (At Your Fingertips, 711 SW King).

The Inn: When we came back to check in, we were directed to our room down the hill in the the Inn portion. Both buildings have outside corridors, but this is not a problem, as this is in a safe and borders an upscale area (near Rose Garden and Nob Hill); I never thought twice about my safety.

The Room: It had a view of Mt. Hood, and was next to the gorgeous house next door, so we could look into their garden. There were 2 very comfortable queen beds (as pictured w the green bedspreads), modern wood furniture, wood floors, and a basic bathroom with upscale verbena toiletries. There is no closet in the room, but a hotel/towel rack with a small hanging rod and hangars are provided. A large chest of drawers with (extra blankets and a hairdryer) and luggage stand is available, however. There was an in-wall fan/ac/heating unit under the window, which had a sheer shade and blackout shade. If you don’t pull the blackout shade, people walking down the stairs are able to look into the room.

The Bathroom: The shower (pictured with the ball-bearing curtain rod) was a large stall (i.e., no tub) and this was fine. A hook for each person was provided, as well as a towel rack with plenty of fresh towels and a small hanging space; there was enough room for toiletries between the vanity shelf and cabinet behind the mirror.

At night, the walls are on the thin side, so if you are a light sleeper, you should definitely bring earplugs. Things you may need and are not provided in the room include iron/board and lock-box (I didn’t require or check on these but they may be available from the front desk).
Bottom Line: You get what you pay for and this was everything we were looking for in a budget hotel and a bit more. We were very pleased with the modern décor and cleanliness of the room, the friendliness and assistance from everyone at the front desk, and the complimentary refreshments.

I absolutely recommend this business if you are looking for the best budget accommodation in Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for an upstairs mountain-facing room at the end of the INNbuilding so you share only 1 wall and...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cynthia10021
Chicago
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2012

My daughter and I recently visited the magical city of Portland, Oregon, and one of the best things about our vacation was our stay at the Park Lane Suites. I chose the Park Lane based on reviews on Trip Advisor, and because I don’t need a 4-star hotel with a pool and a gym and a restaurant…this 2 ½-start hotel suited us just fine.

We stayed one night in the building across the street from the main hotel and the remaining two nights in a suite, so I had the opportunity to experience both types of rooms. Not surprisingly, the suite was a superior experience, with a comfy queen bed in a separate bedroom, a spotlessly clean bathroom with a porcelain tub, a full-equipped kitchen, a desk for my computer, and an almost full-sized living room. The suite was on the 4th floor and very quiet. Unfortunately, the elevators were out-of-order during our stay, but we had no problem using the stairs. The more stripped-down room across the street was also spotlessly clean and very comfortable, but the room was more cramped. Also, the bathroom only had a shower, no tub. For the price, however, I would not hesitate to stay in the smaller queen room again.

The rooms are not the main reason I would recommend the Park Lane, however. They get five stars for their unbelievable customer service! Charles, especially, deserves special mention. He handled every one of my requests efficiently and in a friendly, patient manner. He gave me great tips for getting around the city. He even offered to upgrade me to a better room when I told him I’d had trouble sleeping the night before, due to the east-facing room that woke me at sunrise. I would rebook this hotel just because of him.

Other little perks that made a huge difference: free laundry detergent and on-site washers and dryer, free coffee and cookies all day, free parking, two containers of oatmeal and orange juice for your first night’s stay, even a bike rack for our rented bikes.

Also, the Nob Hill neighborhood surrounding the hotel is amazing, with lovely old homes and lots of trees. The bus stop on Burnside is only half a block away, and you can walk easily to Washington Park and the Alphabet District.

I highly recommend the Park Lane Suites and Inn!

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are quieter and roomier, but also more expensive. Rooms facing west in t...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Bellevue, Washington, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had booked this hotel as a last minute thing and had choosen this hotel due to its reviews, location and amenities. What we got was both nice and not so nice in ways. We has a one queen bed suite with breakfast and parking included. Now with that the breakdown:
PROS:
- Great location, right next to nob hill, rose garden and downtown.
- There is free parking, but really little and hence you need to get it early.
- The rooms are not too cramped and (the suite we had booked), had a functioning small kitchen perfect for small cooking and heating.
- The staff were really friendly and extremely helpful with requests.
- The room was clean (though could use some polishing, as there was rust on the door frames and the drawers creeked a bit).

Cons :
- The breakfast included was just a cup of oatmeal and orange juice kept in the rooms before hand.
- The parking is soo scarce that if you dont get it on the hotel then its would be a while to find street parking.

Overall: A very good hotel for its price, if you are aware of the small short comings and can plan for it.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Vineet K