“Great spot by the beach”

Chowder Bowl at Nye Beach
Ranked #12 of 120 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: USD 6 - USD 18
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Terrific clam chowder, homemade French fries, generous portions, good service with reasonable prices. Highly recommended.

1  Thank 975neila
Write a ReviewReviews (1,136)

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Normally go for the top notch cannot be beat done RIGHT Clam Chowder, but this time just had to try the Fish & Chips...Wonderfully flakey...succulent (how often do you hear THAT for Fish & Chips?). Three great sized pieces all done to perfection with very light breading that does not interfere with enjoying the beautifully white local caught fish so flakey it would fall apart if one is not careful! Wife had the Clam Chowder and shared it with me...so great to have chowder that is not so thick and pasty and overstarched the spoon would stand up on it own. (Tip: if the surface retains wave shapes & peaks it is way too Pasty) I'm from New England and think I have an idea what Clam Chowder should be and THIS IS GREAT! The Chips are light and do not overwhelm the Fish. Photo tried to show the glistening white succulent flaky fish but just does not do it justice.

Many other excellent selections on the menu along with both tap and bottled beer and other beverages, but I live for good Chowder and Fish & Chips so they win out.

Service was top notch. While we did have to wait on the Friday before Easter Sunday and Spring Break, the wait did go fast. Parking can be a challenge in the Nye Beach area, but there's quite a bit if you're patient.

This is a must visit place just a few steps up from the beach. Casual, Comfy, & Yummy.

1  Thank Wizzzzzard
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We went here for lunch today, the last Saturday of spring break. Arrived at about 11:30 and were seated right away with the last available table--this place gets busy! We had onion rings, chowder, shrimp tacos, a bacon burger and two kids meals with chicken strips and a burger. Everything was wonderful! Chowder was dreamy, burgers were huge, and the shrimp tacos were to die for. Tons of delicious, perfectly cooked Cajun shrimp in huge corn tortillas with cheese, salsa, avocado, and cabbage.worth the price. My kids actually argued over who got the tarter sauce!! Wait staff was friendly and we never felt rushed. By the time we left, the wait list had many names on it, come early. My only suggestion is to add a little more salt to the chips, but that's an easy addition at the table. Great job Chowder Bowl!

1  Thank Mommy2Boox2
Reviewed 25 March 2018

I took my friend here during the off-season, later in the evening, and as a result, there wasn't a line out the door, something that's common during the opposite of the above. Parking was bordering challenging this time, as new businesses have filled in what were blank parcels before, and I'd imagine that traffic would be teeming during the summer. Probably at least a decade ago, this restaurant expanded awhile back, but it looked the same this time, I think they've reached their capacity.

The good is plentiful in quantity, prices higher but not too overboard for a tourist area, but the service just adequate despite the dining room not being packed. I've gotten a good meal each time here, though it is comparable to others I've had in the area, save maybe Kam Meng just north of town, though all-time, all places I've been I would give it a 4/5 (i.e., I've had even better).

Reviewed 19 March 2018

had a good meal of salmon and chowder, both excellent or cooked perfectly,have made it a point to eat there each visit, like a perfect pair of shoes, it is comfortable.

1  Thank kevinschumacher54