“Home away from home”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Newport
RDA
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 16 October 2011

This was our second stay at this motel and it was just as wonderful as it was the first time. It's not that easy to find but worth the effort. I love the layout of the rooms. I like that there is a separate room for the bedroom. My husband can nap and I can still do whatever! The rooms were clean and very cosy. We stayed in #1 and it has a beautiful view of the ocean. (made it harder to leave!) It is a beachfront motel but you have to go down lots of stairs to get to the beach! I also like that you can park right in front of your room. Management was very friendly and helpful. I wouldn't want to stay anywhere else if we go back to the coast!

Room Tip: #1 and #2 rooms have the best unobstructed view of ocean.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Helen H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Eureka, California
Reviewed 9 October 2011

I want to thank you again for your help/trust on Sept. 25. You are a life saver!!! My balances hadn't come thru to my account and you held my card for the night. I was really not feeling to well that day and didn't know what to do. You were wonderful to do this for my daughter and I. This Motel is the cutest I have ever stayed in..We were only going to stay one night and ended up there a 2nd night. It has Very Clean with Beautiful Views and the cabins are as cozy as can be!! We will be back !! Thank you again Maggie for being so nice! Dottie & Willow Dawes

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Dottie D
Sun Prairie, WI
Reviewed 9 October 2011

Sept. 21, 2011. I stayed at the Agate Beach Motel (Unit #2), a few miles N of Newort OR . This small motel was a great find with an awesome ocean view right from my porch. It seems a little older, but I loved my one bedroom unit that included a complete kitchen. and Quarry Cove intertidal area are just a few minutes drive away ($7 entry fee good for 3 days). And I highly recommend walking around the Newport marina area a few miles to the south for it's wonderful ambiance, colorful murals, sea lions, fishing boats, and bridge. The is a great find as well.

My only criticisms for the motel were that the bathroom needed some work (peeling paint, mold or dirt in shower, general condition), the screening on the living room sliding door was separated from the frame badly and needed replacing (no screening on the living room window as an alternative), and unlike most hotels (even cabins and houses I've rented) there is no cancellation option and credit card is charged immediately. You can move your dates if, but no refund even months or weeks before your arrival. These things leave an impression, but overall I still feel Agate Beach Motel is an good choice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank RGJones_WI
Fort Smith MT
Reviewed 1 October 2011

Agate Beach Motel was just wonderful. The view was spectacular - saw whales most days. The climb down to the beach on their stairs was fun and the fire pit at night was memorable. The rooms were updated, clean, quiet and comfortable. Ours was a kitchenette which was very handy. I'll go back.

Room Tip: Kitchenettes, spacious. The view is awesome from most rooms.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank Janet_DFortSmithMT
Reviewed 9 September 2011

My boyfriend had stayed at this motel before and had really fond memories, so when it came to planning our labor day weekend we decided to go there. I talked with Maggie a month before labor day weekend and reserved unit 8. On the day we were scheduled to arrive I called to confirm and she claimed that I had not made the reservation. I was informed that there was nothing they could do, and that there was no way I had made a reservation. They were now full. Maggie was very defensive and verging on rude when I confronted her about this. I understand that mistakes happen, but some empathy and understanding of our disappointment was all I was asking for. Luckily we ended up finding a room at the Whaler in Newport - extremely pleasant staff and amazing ocean views and cheaper too. Strongly recommend it. Too bad for the Agate Beach Motel, but it was their loss not ours!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Lettuce81
agatebeachmotel, General Manager at Agate Beach Motel, responded to this review, 17 September 2011
In response to this Review ,We were unaware of any reservation for these folks and would have accomadated them were we not full on a holiday weekend. I did however call another hotel in the area for them and found an available room and gave them a call to let them know I had found aroom on the same beach with most of the same amenties that we have ,the kitchenette and the decks and the private bedroom. They chose yet another Hotel and we were happy they could come to the coast for the weekend.
It is very rare that any reservations are lost ,and we would with out adoubt rather book a room than have to turn some one away.
This is a great place for building memories and we hope they come back sometime ...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
1.8 km away
5.1 km away
The Landing at Newport Condominium-Hotel
6.7 km away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Newport

Been to Agate Beach Motel? Share your experiences!