“Good & quick service; food was a little too sweet”

Lucky Thai Elephant Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 122 Restaurants in Newport
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 December 2017

The food was decent (I tried the pad thai because I hadn't had it in forever), but it was a little too sweet for my tastes. The service was fast and good. The price seemed a tad high for simple pad thai (just under $12), but given the area being a vacation/tourist destination it might be normal for the area. I'd give it a 3.5 out of 5... if the sweetness had been dialed down some I could potentially give it a 4 out of 5.

Reviewed 22 November 2017

Went to this place the other day since it was foggy and my roommate and I wanted soup...it was OK, by no means bad, however I would definitely recommend M&P Thai on the Bayfront over the Elephant. As I noticed other reviewers mentioning, which I also experienced, their food is very sweet here, and doesn't have that flavorful Thai zing that I know and love. Perhaps I will try them again, and try other dishes, wouldn't mind coming back here and giving them another shot.

When we got here, we got their Thai Iced Tea, which was good. Basically your typical standard, which is great because its such an awesome drink. I ordered their Tom Kha soup, in a hot-pot, and my roommate got their won-ton soup. I think she also got some tofu spring rolls, which I tried, and were pretty flavorless, except the sauce they came with was good. It was a type of peanut sauce, pretty sweet, but still appetizing. With the sauce the spring rolls were edible.

When we got our soup, the presentation was definitely on-point, I love it when soup comes in the hot-pot. However after I started eating, I noticed that the flavorful Thai spice was not there, and the base to the soup was just very sweet. It was still OK, just not the best. Also, the chicken in the soup was a bit over-done and tough and chewy. Edible, but definitely not the best I have had. My roommate said her won-ton soup was also lack-luster, and she ended up only eating about half of it. Overall just an OK experience.

I do want to give the Lucky Elephant another go, especially since Thai food is one of my favorites, but for now I would recommend M&P over on the Bayfront for better Thai fare than here.

Reviewed 4 October 2017 via mobile

We used to visit this restaurant quite a bit for lunch. We’ve always enjoyed the food, and the lunch specials come with a cup of soup. We tried Elephant Thai for dinner a few nights back. Prices substantially higher on all dishes, while portions weren’t much different from lunch, if at all! And here’s the kicker...no soup served with dinner?! So you charge more for dinner and don’t offer soup? This makes absolutely NO SENSE! After leaving we just felt ripped off. We will be making the drive Thai Bay in Depoe Bay from now on.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Tasty Thai food, WONDERFUL cup of coconut-based soup that comes with lunch, reasonable prices and adequate portion sizes. Lots of locals come here.
I enjoy the Penang curry and also the green curry. VERY good peanut sauce and good pad Thai. Great.....now I made myself hungry!!

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I don't love Thai food but all of my traveling companions do so we went to the Lucky Thai Elephant while in Newport. I loved the Thai iced tea! The service was excellent and the food was very good.