“I was attacked by a fitted sheet!”

Elizabeth Street Inn
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Newport
Reviewed 21 April 2012

My wife and I returned to Newport for our 44th anniversary and our 4th stay at Elizabeth Street Inn. We enjoyed it slightly less than during our previous visits, mostly because the Inn is looking a little more "tired." I was most frustrated with two sleep-deprived nights, mostly due to the fitted, bottom sheet not remaining on the mattress. I became "tangled" up in the bottom sheet both nights, complaining after the first night to the housekeeper. She implied it was my fault that the fitted sheet wouldn't stay on the mattress! I complained again when we checked out to the desk receptionist and wrote up my complaints to management.
Otherwise, the hotel offers the best views in town of the beach, and the soothing sound of the surf provided some relief to my otherwise sleep-inhibited stay.
My wife loves the Eliz. St. Inn. It is a very lovely, need I say "romantic" setting!

Room Tip: The top floor (4th) was a little more expensive, but well worth the added quiet.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Lela232, General Manager at Elizabeth Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

I was so sorry to hear you had issues with the fitted sheet on your bed! Not having seen the issue myself it is difficult to speak to. Typically that kind of problem would happen if the sheet was too small for the mattress, or perhaps if the elastic in the corners was compromised. I know that the sheets are the correct size, so it sounds as though it may have been the elastic. In any case I can see where it must have been very uncomfortable and certainly inconvenient. Please accept our sincere apology for any discomfort this may have caused you. I will be sending you a coupon to apply to your next visit. Thank you for your continued patronage.

Best regards,

Lela

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We were looking forward to our first visit to the Oregon Coast, and this hotel had come very highly recommended. The room and view were phenomenal, but unfortunately the housekeeping was mediocre, at best. Things like garbage not emptied, coffee cups left on tables, coffee maker not cleaned, things like that. In a beachfront hotel I've come to expect top-notch service and this one didn't measure up to our expectations!

Stayed: April 2012

I too was disappointed when I read about your experiences with our stay-over service! I am sorry that your stay was inhibited by our lack of attention to detail. I will most certainly speak with our Housekeeping Director to see that these issues are addressed so that future guests do not experience the same lack of service. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I do hope you will try us again if you are visiting the coast.

Best regards,

Lela

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Awesome staff start to finish. Welcomed me and my family and did their best to make our stay memorable. This is important to me since I don't get to travel a lot with my family, it's mostly business.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The best qualities about this hotel are its view, location, gas fireplace, higher quality room furnishings and friendly staff. My kids would say that the absolute best thing about this hotel are the fresh baked cookies offered in the lobby in the evening. Our room had a balcony that looked right out onto the beach. I believe that all the rooms have a patio door facing west, so all the rooms offer this? The balcony is protected from the wind, so even though it was a windy & cool day, it was still nice and relaxing to sit outside and soak up the sights and sounds of the beach. We kept the patio door open most of the time to hear to the ocean waves, while the gas fireplace was turned on keeping the room warm :) The room decor is updated and not unattractive like you find in cheaper priced hotels. The staff was very friendly and happy to see us. I thought it was nice that in the lobby area there is always complimentary tea and coffee available as well as apples and bananas. The hotel location is great. It's within walking distance to good restaurants and cute shopping stores and it's just a 5 minute drive to the aquarium.

There are only a few minor downfalls about the hotel. The pool/exercise room is in a different building. You have to walk outside, though the covered garage parking area to get to the pool/ exercise room. The second issue is while driving in and out of the parking garage, our car scraped on the concrete. Ouch! Something about the angle of the driveways. If you drive a small to midsize car, I suggest parking out on the street. The breakfast okay. The food offerings were the typical fare. Waffles you cook, baked egg squares, sausage, biscuits, bagels, cereals, packaged oatmeal, Yoplait yogurt and bananas. Oh and what the other reviews said about the slow elevators are true! It sure got crowed at fresh baked cookie time in the lobby area while guest were waiting for the elevators! We were on vacation, so we took it all in stride, as seems were the other guests. :) Mostly we would use the stairs though.

If you are coming to the beach and want stay at a nicer hotel with a good view, this is the place. We saw a rainbow outside our patio door in the morning when we woke up. A full rainbow right down on the beach. Can't ask for much better than that in the spring time on the Oregon coast!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank collegetourmama
Reviewed 10 April 2012

The Elizabeth Street Inn is indeed a warm and welcoming hotel and its location – right on the beach – is superb. The staff is super friendly and quick to offer tips on the fastest/easiest way to the old bayfront as well as to the beach and they have maps handy for travelers to check their trip planning etc. The salmon chowder that other reviewers have spoken of is really quite good and piping hot, served with individual packs of oyster crackers. The cookies they offer in the evening were enjoyed by my daughter and her boyfriend and the two of them had a swim and a soak in the pool and hot tub as well – two really great amenities to have in the hotel. The room is very tastefully decorated - the flat screen is terrific and there’s ample seating so you don’t have to always sit on a bed like in so many other double queen rooms, however, I wasn’t nuts about the room layout. The double sink vanity, while just outside the bathroom (tub/toilet), it isn’t around a corner (or in a separate room) like most other hotel rooms – it’s pretty much IN the room. So to dry your hair with a hairdryer, it more or less means waking up anyone else who is still sleeping in your room. Same with turning on the lights above the vanity…..a dark, quiet room in the a.m. will brighten quickly for those who are sleeping if you need light to dry your hair or put on your make-up. With no plug-in in the tub/toilet room (and why would there be?), I just SO wished that the vanity had been around a corner! I ended up wearing a ball cap over my clean, wet hair since I wasn’t comfortable running my hairdryer with sleeping teens in the room. There are just two other items tat were a bit bothersome….. The elevator is PAINFULLY slow. It’s also very small – and since all the guests [find out right away] how slow it is, they get on whether it’s going up OR down JUST to catch it, so it over crowds a lot. Lastly – the breakfast room. I realize we stayed at this hotel during Spring Break so there were lots of families, however…. I’ve always kind of looked at these continental/free breakfasts as a cordial starting point for your day…grab a little something and go, you know? But it seemed (and maybe I’d think the same if I had several small children traveling with me), that the families in there had full intention of using the breakfast space as their own, personal kitchens in which to cook their whole family a hearty breakfast. The area that housed the different food items was rather small/tight so having upwards of 12 people in it was downright claustrophobic, confusing and irritating. Kids wandering around with unwashed bed-head is a bummer and parents didn’t seem to really watch after them so they were underfoot of other guests a lot. One boy must’ve made himself about 6 or 7 full-sized waffles…..! This is where I like to quote my dear father-in-law and remind people, “remember, we’re here to feed you, not fatten you up”! LOL J In all honesty, I know this free meal saves families and others a pretty penny…but wash up the kids and watch over them more or just take breakfast back to the room for them. I could’ve taken my breakfast back to my room too (‘cept I had other family sleeping in it) – but this room is for all guests – kids shouldn’t overrun it. It’d be great if this room was bigger in general anyway…it was very small for the size of the hotel. Those couple of things said, we DID have a nice stay. The room itself, the location and the staff were right on the money. Just need a bit more organization in the breakfast room and a faster elevator ;-) Thanks ESI, we had a fun Spring Break over-nighter J

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank minnysmom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newport
0.9 km away
0.5 km away
Hallmark Resort
Hallmark Resort
#2 of 24 in Newport

Been to Elizabeth Street Inn? Share your experiences!