“They have lost that friendly atmosphere”
Review of Shearwater Inn

Shearwater Inn
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Lincoln City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Lebanon, Oregon
“They have lost that friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We came to the O'dysius for special times and almost all my birthdays. We planned to stay for our 38th anniversary. We asked for their special and it took 3 days for the manager to say "No deal". Then they wanted to charge $75 to check in after 9 pm when I was coming back from a flight and it took another 2 days and they would not waive the fee. Ruined our anniversary expectations. We were loyal customers and now will not go back. They do not treat customers special anymore and I don't think they want business they way they handle people now. $75?? No one I know has ever heard of that, even friends who have stayed in Moscow.

Room Tip: Upper floors with balconies and in corners.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Vicki T
Odysiusgm, Manager at Shearwater Inn, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
Thank you for the feedback on how we have dealt with reservations and unusual circumstances. As the new manager since beginning of October, I noticed this unfortunately event occured prior to my arrival. I apologize for our wrong-handling but I pledge hereby to do better from now on.
We will appreciate the chance to improve and show we are professional and service minded.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
Michigan
Reviewed 14 October 2011

I have stayed off and on at this hotel for a decade or more, always on business, usually with my husband, sometimes with a colleague, typically 3 0r 4 times througout the year. I've stayed at Motel 6's (albeit many years ago) and this is nothing like that. Its more like an old grande dame and reminds me of many european boutique hotels I've stayed in over the years. I quit staying there during the tenure of a foolish manager, but recently received an email that he'd moved on, so I would consider going back. It had been family owned and operated for years previously and had always felt warmly welcomed (before the aforementioned guy) There is a fire in the fireplace going, its a little fussy like you're entering an english tea room or something but you can get a reasonably priced local wine to take up to your room and its generally pretty good. They host a nightly wine soiree, and breakfast is delivered with pastries, juices and coffee every morning. The ocean views are a little obstructed as they are not directly on the beach, but for a relaxing peaceful weekend, or a respite at the end of a long business travel day - this is a good place.

Room Tip: Ask for as high a floor as they have...
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank KJDbiz1
Seaside, Oregon
Reviewed 19 September 2011

THIS PLACE IS NOT WHAT IT APPEARS TO BE ON THE WEB! If you are looking for a romantic & luxurious getaway, as we were, THIS IS NOT THE PLACE! It appears that the owners bought some run down Motel 6, gave the exterior a paint job, added some rock work, maybe spruced up the lobby a bit, had a good photographer take deceiving pictures, & slapped up some 4 star plaques up on the walls. The front desk man (I believe his name was Tony) was absolutely awful! Our experience with him was THE WORST customer service I have ever encountered anywhere! I have received better customer service @ a gas station then I did our entire stay here. He didn't smile once or give us any sense that we were welcomed @ all. He treated us like some man who hated his life & his job & we were just some great inconvenience to him. He was absolutely cold! When I called the front desk for a cab recommendation his response was, "I don't know. Really any cab you call can take you to where you need to go." Then he hung up. Upon checkout, we were greeted the same way. A cold, rude man with not one ounce of customer service skills! He didn't even say, "good morning, how was your stay?" or "thanks for staying with us, have a nice day." The rooms were not worth the $150/night. The beds were extremely uncomfortable, there were stains all over the outdated & ugly furniture, there was no fan in the bathroom, the wallpaper was peeling in spots, the mini bar had NOTHING in it, & the view was an ABSOLUTE JOKE! You have a view of the ugly roof of a restaurant to one side and the back end of a couple mediocre hotels that are actually "ocean front" to the other. Sandwiched in between that, there's the ocean. The continental breakfast that they speak of is also a joke. You have your choice between a bagel & cream cheese or yogurt & granola, juice, & coffee or hot chocolate. The granola was so dosed in sugar that my husband couldn't eat it. They only gave you enough cream cheese for 1/2 of your bagel. They completely forgot my hot chocolate & when I called to tell "Tony" about it, I got no apology, just an "ok, I'll have her bring that up to you" & a click. The wine & cheese tasting was also a joke. They had 3 wines (1 of which you can buy @ any grocery store for about $8) & one tray of salami & cheddar that looked like it came from Safeway. I also told the person when we booked the place & "Tony" when we arrived that it was our anniversary & we were very excited to stay in a nice romantic hotel to celebrate, & not once did anyone say happy anniversary, or do anything for us @ all. At the very least I expected a happy anniversary, thank you for staying with us. We were EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED in our stay here, will never return, & will not recommend this place to anyone! I believe that we would have had a better time had we stayed @ a Motel 6!

Room Tip: Choose a room @ a different hotel!
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank nicandjes
Odysiusgm, General Manager at Shearwater Inn, responded to this review, 21 September 2011
I'm saddened to hear of such a negative experience that you encountered with us! I'll be certain to share your customer service comments with our staff....and we'll "sharpen up" if we were anything less then our typical exceptional standard that is so highly acclaimed here in Tripadvisor!

Obviously this was your first and last time with us so I wish you the best of luck, but in our defense we're not your cookie cutter hotel....we're a little, lovely hotel on the coast of Lincoln City. All our furniture is unique and custom, designed to make you feel like you're in someones home! We keep it clean and in very good condition, (as so many comments here in Trip Advisor reflects).

I wish you the best of luck in your future travels.

The Management
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 15 September 2011

The hotel doesn't look like the pictures on their website. It is VERY dated. It is designed for older guests (I am 23). It was not what I expected, I was very disappointed;

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank bpohll
Odysiusgm, General Manager at Shearwater Inn, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Comments are always appreciated, we thank you for yours.
A few issues however to clarify... the pictures you see on our website, TravelAdvisor, other search engines and online travel agents are as is - no hampering, pampering, no photoshop...
Taste, flavor and color, even style are very personal and in my opinion not relevant to age.... the proof? many of our guests are of your age and do like the hotel very much. O'dysius is what it claims to be... a peaceful, restful, relaxing place.
Thank you for the opportunity to respond.
Wenatchee, Washington
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We enjoyed our stay at this small boutique hotel. All rooms have a splendid ocean view and a good restaurant, Kyllos, is right next door.

Room Tip: The upper three floors have balconies; some rooms have kitchens
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple