New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of A Nose For Wine Tours

A Nose For Wine Tours
Ranked #1 of 12 Food & Drink in Hillsboro
More attraction details
Owner description: Private educational wine tours.
lagrange, ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful tour, Fred is so knowledgeable!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2010

This was our first ever wine tour and Fred was a superb guide. While it was obvious from the start that he was equipped to guide even the most experienced wine connoisseurs, we let him know from the start that were were wine beginners and he hapilly gave us a crash course in wine tasting. Over the course of about 6 hours we visited 5 different wineries in the Willamette Valley and got to taste some fantastic wines. Fred brought alone 2 delectable appetizer trays to help break up the tasting and cleanse our palates. He also brought along some delicious truffles to each with the port that we tasted at our last stop.

If you are just looking to drink excessively and have a driver chauffeur then this is NOT the trip for you. However, if you have an appreciation for good wine, beautiful scenery, and want to have an educating and beatiful tour of the Willamette Valley, then this tour is just what you need. I gave the tour 4 stars for a wine beginner because there is a certain amount of wine etiquette which you should probably already be aware of before taking a tour like this. This would most definately get 5 stars at the intermediate/advanced level as you would be more likely to be able to take full advantage of Fred's extensive wine knowledge and you could spend less time asking beginner questions.

North Carolina
“Fred Gunton is…P-i-n-o-t !!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

We recently returned from an OUTSTANDING experience in the Willamette Valley thanks to Fred Gunton of A Nose For Wine. Fred is.... P-I-N-O-T!!!

P: Professional. From initial contact to drop off, Fred took care of all the details. On time pick-up at our Portland hotel, winery appointments, shipping the bounty back home, and more!

I: Interesting. Fred has been around the world to many different wine regions and shares his knowledge in a very entertaining way. I have been on many wine tours and can quickly sniff out the charlatans- Fred REALLY KNOWS WINE

N: Native. A native Oregonian, his ties to the region and knowledge of local nuances really flesh out the Oregon wine story. From Hazelnuts to the history of wine in Oregon. Everyone at the wineries knows Fred and we received special reserve tastings because of his introductions..and signed bottles too!

O: Original. Fred doesn't operate a shuttle service ("the slurp and burp" wait for you in the parking lot "tours" are ubiquitous and a total waste of your time and money-beware of the imitators). We visited cellars generally closed to the public. Fred allowed us to experience the wine unobtrusively yet was close by to offer his opinion-- and if you are buying, his knowledge of local vineyard vintages is unmatched- a true asset

T: Thorough. We were greeted with a customized itinerary and a surprise fruit/cheese break. Fred arranged a sorting line experience and lunch with a vintner. When we enjoy our Oregon Pinots we now have a face and an image to remember- it has really added to the enjoyment of our wines !!!

FRED IS P-I-N-O-T !!!!!!!

Such a pleasurable experience- FAR EXCEEDED OUR EXPECTATIONS !!!!!!

New York, NY
“Best Wine Traveling Experience... EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2009

My family and I recently completed a day long wine excursion with Fred and “A Nose for Wine” (9/4/09). Simply said, to call it an amazing experience would be an understatement. From the very first email that I sent Fred inquiring about his services, you could tell that he was not only extremely personable, but also incredibly knowledgeable about wine and the Willamette Valley.

The personal touch displayed throughout the planning process and on our actual trip is what really helped ensure that the experience would exceed our expectations. Before arriving in Oregon, Fred and I communicated constantly on what we were looking to get out of our day, our likes and dislikes, and our vision for the trip. Based on this, he provided two different route suggestions, all the while reminding me that the actual day would be flexible and “up to us”.

On the day of our trip, Fred showed up right on time and spent a good deal of time giving us the background and history of the Valley on our way to the first winery. This alone seemed different to us, as we compared this information session to all of the black towncars that we had previously seen just dropping their patrons at the front door of the winery. Fred joined us at each stop, teaching us a great deal about winemaking in general, the Valley specifically, and all of the things that make Oregon such a wonderful place. All the while reminding us that tasting wine can be a fun family affair with lots of laughs, not just a serious and stoic outing.

Fred used his extensive relationships in the region to make sure that we got the best experience possible. This was best evidenced by our stop at the Brooks Winery. My family and I have spent a good deal of time traveling wine regions around the globe, but I have to say that the first stop on our tour with Fred was our single best ever. At Brooks, Fred had called ahead and arranged for a tasting with Chris, the resident winemaker. Besides finding our new favorite winery in Oregon, the experience was really able to bundle up everything that the Willamette Valley is- friendly, laid back, and unpretentious- just good friends and good wine… Oh- and plentiful meat and cheese platters that seem to pop up every time you turn your back on Fred.

One final note that I think speaks volumes about Fred and the service that he provides. After dropping us off at our B&B, we quickly discovered a logistics problem with packing and shipping all of the wine we had bought back to NY. Even though he was already 15 minutes down the road, Fred turned around and came back, taking our purchases and arranging for them to get back to us safe and sound. Just one more example of Fred going above and beyond the call of duty.

I think it is safe to say that I would never hesitate recommending Fred and “A Nose for Wine” to anybody. I know that if I’m lucky enough to get back to Oregon again in the future, Fred will be the first call that I make…