“Basic home cooking”

Ranked #24 of 215 Restaurants in Grants Pass
Price range: USD 5 - USD 20
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast
Description: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert — the four most important meals of the day! The Black Bear Diner in Grants Pass specializes in providing not only a wonderful meal, but a fun experience for each and every one of our patrons. So, no matter what kind of meal you’re in the mood for, we invite you to pull up a seat, order your favorite dish, and enjoy our fantastic atmosphere.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Good old fashioned home cooking. Nothing fancy, just wholesome good tasting food. The service was excellent. Actually had Easter dinner there and they had some awesome tri-tip. Good value for your money.

Reviewed 9 March 2018

Stopped here for lunch. I had the double bacon triple decker sandwich on rye bread with a side of potato salad. Both items were excellent. My wife ordered a large salad that was excellent as well. Service was superior even though they were very busy. A popular place for breakfast and lunch. Easy on-off from the I-5 freeway.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

This is a diner. I have to remind myself of that. Black Bear serves up large portions of food that isn't gross. At our table...We had chicken fried steak, meatloaf and a kids steak. The kids steak was pretty damn good. My kid ate all of it and that is a small miracle. The crust on the steak was too peppery for a 4 y.o. but perfect for me. : ) score! The meatloaf was weird but good. It had good flavor..a little sweet but it also had long carrot shreds in it which is not my taste. Maybe it's yours. Maybe you are a weirdo that likes long carrot bits in meat. Go for it...if that's your thing.
My husband got a chicken fried steak...he's a city boy so he wasn't impressed. (Snob) I thought it was ok. The salad and soup before our meal was really really good. Huge salad. So...overall, if you are looking for lots of pretty decent food in a good family atmospere you won't be disappointed.

They have a cute selection of bear theme gifts by the front entrance. We tried to keep the kid from looking but as you can see from the picture, we adopted a stuffed bear. Yay for perfectly placed impulse buys and my inability to say no to my child.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We have had dinner here a few times, including Thanksgiving. Our family dinner was on Saturday so we went here on Thanksgiving and the food was wonderful, generous servings, everything included at one price and the service was exceptional. It is always a good place for a filling meal with great service but now I know it can even be special.

Reviewed 11 February 2018

Had good ol' cheeseburger and fries. There was plenty, it was good, service pretty fast. What more can I say!!!