“A Hidden Diamond in Gearhart, Oregon”

Pacific Way Cafe and Bakery
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Gearhart
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2016

Dinning at Pacific Way Cafe is a treat from the moment you walk into the restaurant until you leave. It is such a comfortable setting and one feels at home immediately. On a recent visit we arrived 30 minutes before the restaurant opened for dinner at 5 PM on a Sunday evening, but the hostess greeted us warmly and seated us promptly. We were told dinner would not be served until 5 PM but after telling the hostess how "starving" we were she took pity on us. Our waiter immediately brought us bread [3 different types of bread - all very delicious] and we ordered cups and bowls of clam chowder. I've always been partial to Mo's Clam Chowder, but after having Pacific Way Cafe's Clam Chowder my loyalty has changed. I don't know why I've never ordered it before. Now we were ready to order our entrees and we were not disappointed in our choices. I ordered the Chicken Marsala and it was probably the best I've ever eaten. The accompanying vegetables [green beans, mashed potatoes, and mushrooms] were prepared perfectly. One of my friends ordered the oyster entree and the other fish tacos. The friends, one from China and one from Catalonia were thrilled with their selections. Alas, we were too stuffed to order dessert which was a shame because the selection looked amazing. However, the next morning we stopped by the Pacific Way Bakery, on our way for some serious shopping, to purchase two types of the bread we tried from the night before, along with scones, croissants, and doughnuts. After several hours of shopping we decided to return to Pacific Way Cafe for lunch. Again we each ordered something different [shrimp sandwich, grilled chicken avocado sandwich, and chicken quesadilla] and we were not disappointed. I have frequented this cafe for about 15 years and the quality of the wait staff and the food has never changed, it is always excellent. It is always on my list of "must eat here" when visiting the north Oregon Coast.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

We went for lunch and were quickly seated with welcoming smiles. I got a crab Louis and my husband got fish and chips. We both had coffee. It was fabulous food: fresh, seasoned perfectly, with generous portions. The coffee was excellent. The service was impeccable.

Reviewed 28 May 2016

Pacific Way is the quintessential Gearhart gathering place, right at the main stop street intersection across from the market. By day, the Bakery boasts a devilish collection of tasty French pastries, a couple of oversized artisan breads, plus strong coffee and lattes, so it is no wonder that many residents dawdle here, inside and outside, over the day's news and conversations. We did not have lunch there but, by night, the Café next door is transformed into an expensive but worthy restaurant with a throwback menu of many golden oldies dishes from the 1980s and 1990s (or so it seemed). The Café is the kind of place where entrees still come with bread and salad (including our excellent small Cesar's). We selected two of the more expensive entrees on the menu (both at $29.95) and were delighted with my grass-fed rib eye steak, rare as requested, and my companion's cioppino brimming with local seafood. Both were so sizable that they provided a fine repast the next night at home. Did we really need the dessert of yummy sweet coconut cream pie? Probably not, but we did split it at least. The place was absolutely packed on a Saturday night, including a next-door table of eight including kids, but server Ashley was up to the task with eager and friendly service with surprising attentiveness considering the crowd. An appealing wine list with excellent offerings, including many bargains, only added to our most enjoyable evening the Café. No wonder, as others have remarked, that the place seems so unchanged after all the years.

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Charming decor, good service, food was not bad. Table next to us all got the Louie salads, and they looked very impressive. The pizza seemed popular.

1  Thank NorthStar583148
Reviewed 19 May 2016

Excellent food and service at this small town café. The atmosphere was very quaint and staff was friendly.

Date of visit: June 2015