Wilson Ranches Retreat Bed & Breakfast
  • Breakfast included
USD 126
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsother guestswilson ranchpaper platespioneer roomserved family stylewilson familyquiet at nightride horsesnight stayexcellent fishingblue basinstayed one nightkarahorsebackfossilshostsrefrigerator
Reviewed 23 July 2011

The atmosphere is nice and laid back, the property is beautiful, the bed is comfortable. The room is very clean. There are some inconveniences like having to go downstairs to use the bathroom, and the kitchen is made to be so Off Limits to guests that I was kind of afraid to even pass through it. There is plenty of coffee in the morning, breakfast is good - not gourmet, but tasty (especially the biscuits) and filling. I maintain, however, that 8:00AM is too early for breakfast during vacation. Overall I'd recommend it, especially since your options are limited in that area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank NICOLEandJACOB
Reviewed 19 July 2011

I took my niece to the wilson ranch to ride horses. Everyone there fulfilled her dreams, it was a week-end we will never forget. Phil, Nancy and their family made us fill all cozy and welcome. Thanks

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank paulac123_11
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Wheat fields as far as the eye can see, skies as big as the universe and a peace and quiet found few places in today's modern world all make the Wilson Ranches Bed & Breakfast a real treat. Add to this no cell phone coverage (at least with AT&T) and you have the perfect romantic getaway. Perhaps the best feature of this remarkable B&B is the people you meet there. A map of the world hangs on the wall with push pins indicating visitors' origin. For 15 years, people have been coming from all over the globe -- Australia, Russia, Argentina, China -- they have come from almost every country. Most, of course, are on their way to visit the Fossil Beds in John Day, but if you never got past the ranch, you could at least say that you had a western experience. The rooms aren't plush or luxurious. They are clean and serviceable. Shared bathrooms sometimes requires a little bit of patience. But it is all worth it. Breathe in clean, fresh, crisp air. Watch the night fill with a gazillion stars. Wake up to birds singing and cattle lowing. It doesn't get much better than this.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Candee W
Reviewed 9 June 2011

My travel companions and I elected not to stay at some lodgings in the town of Fossil. A kind local citizen happened to notice our distress and she offered her assistance. She even called the ranch for us. It is a beautiful, working cattle ranch. The rooms are small, but the furnishings are comfortable and the place was immaculate. There was good reading matter and a homey living area. It was great to wake up to the birds singing in the meadows. The Wilsons put out a great breakfast with good conversation. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank camperkat
Reviewed 24 February 2011

We have an "empty nesters" group of 6 adults that stayed here over President's Day weekend. No one was there to greet us, we walked through the door and found notes personally addressed to each couple. My wife and I had the Homestead room all to ourselves. It had a king, a queen, a double and a foldout double. Wow! We only used the King. Monstruous fireplace with an abundance of chopped fire wood right outside the door. Phil and Nancy weren't there, but the subs did admirably with a farm style breakfast both mornings, and pleasant conversation. We made brief excursions into Fossil, but it was freezing cold, so our most popular past time was playing cards in the Homestead room beside a roaring, constantly stoked fire. They actually had satellite TV, but who wanted to break the mood? Went to sleep to the flickering firelight and the sound of owls hooting outside. Definitely worth a revisit when there is no snow. Oh, by the way, we went into town (all of 3 miles away) for dinner at RJ's and I ate a prime rib as big as my head for under $10. My wife had halibut (what? this far inland?) and said it was great.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple