We're been here just a handful of times, but we love this place so much that we're expecting to visit this place more in the coming years whenever we need a break at the coast. Please keep in mind that I'm writing this review on the "Adult" building, and not the "Family" building as we've never stayed there.
Our jobs are flexible, so it allows us to usually plan mini-vacations during the week, but the first time we stayed here, we stayed during the weekend during the late summer. The last couple of years, though, we've stayed during the winter and we have found that we love that even more. I'll explain farther down.
Anyway, even during the summer time, we were able to get a nice room in the "couple's only" building since we booked far enough ahead the very first time we stayed here. We've always lucked out and got a room on a higher floor. I would always prefer a higher up room, but only to avoid hearing loud guests clomping around in their room above your head. I think you would get a great view even if you were on the first floor because the entire resort is on a high cliff right next to the ocean. Our rooms have always had a little balcony (shared, but with wood partitions so you get a little bit of privacy when you're standing out there), gas fireplace that turns on with a switch, a jetted tub, and a separate shower.
I think the rooms are very nice and clean. I really like the dark wood furniture (makes it look more modern to me), and the bed is very comfortable. The TV is one of those flat-screen HD ones, and it's pretty big. Our rooms have always been tidy and clean. A plus here is that they're really generous with the towels; if you stay less than a few nights, you probably won't have to even ask for more.
One of the reasons my boyfriend loves this place is the restaurant (a male getting excited about food? No way!), and we've found that you can't really stay here and NOT go to the restaurant at least once. Sometimes, they run room specials in which you get a meal voucher of $10 off for dinner, or 10% off your restaurant bill if you show them your room key. The staff there is really great, and the food is pretty good. The steak and eggs is the BEST steak and eggs I've ever tasted at a restaurant, and the last time we stayed, my boyfriend ordered the halibut, and got the largest piece of halibut I've ever seen served anywhere. It was easily 10 oz, really fresh and tasted great. I would also recommend the steamed clams, and for a place that serves a lot of steak and seafood, their taco salad is really great. Go figure.
Like I said before, the last time couples we stayed here was during the winter. We prefer to stay then because we really enjoy watching the storms from our room, love the fact that a lot of people don't want to come to the coast during this time, and we really like the low rates. We stayed two nights a couple months ago and with our AAA card, we snagged our usual room for about $180. Now, this place is not a boutique hotel like what you'd find in Cannon Beach, but I feel you definitely get more than what you pay for here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Surfrider Resort is nestled atop a bluff overlooking Fogarty Creek and the Pacific Ocean, located just two miles north of Depoe Bay, between Lincoln City and Newport. While at the Surfrider, visit Depoe Bay, the world's "Smallest Harbor" and famous for whale watching. Reserve a trip for deep sea fishing, or visit Newport for the outstanding Oregon Coast Aquarium, 3 miles north for golfing, or simply take in the sights at the Surfrider where whales play, eagles soar, seals nap, and the sun sets over the ocean. We have banquet rooms that can hold up to 100 people. Weddings, birthdays and special events. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Clarion Inn Surfrider Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfrider Resort Depoe Bay
- Surfrider Hotel Depoe Bay