“Exceeded my expectations!” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 7 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Waikoloa, Hawaii
“Exceeded my expectations!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

Ok...I bought a LivingSocial coupon for this place last summer with the idea of using it for our anniversary getaway weekend in February. The price of the room is normally over $250 per night, so I thought the 68% savings was worth buying it. After purchasing the coupon, I looked it up on TripAdvisor to see what the reviews were. I have to say I was suffering from buyers remorse after reading some of the reviews, and was wondering if I had made the right choice buying this coupon. As the weekend we were going to go got closer, I read reviews again and while most were good, there were still some that had me worried. The night we pulled into the parking lot I said to my husband, "If this place turns out bad, lets agree we will leave and stay somewhere else because I want this weekend to be special".

The lobby and main gathering room was comfortable and clean. The innkeeper (Bob), welcomed us and gave us a tour of the main rooms and where to go for breakfast, the vast video library, where to get ice or use a refridgerator. He then took us upstairs to our room. I have to say, all my worries disapeared. The room was so cozy, warm and inviting. Everything from the wall colors to the linens. A real fireplace with a 5 hour log, complimentary Sherry and chocolate, and a bottle of wine (if you drank it, you would be charged but it was clearly marked so if you didn't want to be charged, don't drink it!). Breakfast was great, and plentiful. And the bed was very, very comfortable. My only complaint and this is small, is the TV was older and small. My eyes aren't so good and I had a hard time seeing it from the bed, but my husband said it was fine for him.

I would definetly stay again. DON'T BELIEVE EVERY REVIEW!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kulagirl

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

We got a two for one coupon deal for the Inn. If we had paid full price, this review would be worse. We were in their "best" room. It did look over the harbor and was a nice size. They did try hard. We had a complimentary bottle of wine, sweet sherry and fresh flowers-all nice touches. Still, the furnishings were a bit old and tired, definitely not luxurious, or even close. Breakfast was good, choice of two entrees. The managers were pleasant. Another nice touch was their library of DVDs which we were free to borrow. Next time we'll stay Ocean front when we visit the coast.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank Lcarrell56
Portland, Oregon
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2011

The breakfast served was not as good as most continental breakfast in decent hotels. Our room had very thin walls and we could hear our neighbors who were partying at a BNB. The room was nice with a fireplace, however the cost to stay here is not worth it.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Roseburg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2011

My husband and I stayed one night here and booked it in a hurry. We always check trip advisor to get a acurate description of the place, but did not in this case. From the pictures on the website and the cost of the room, we thought the it would be very nice, but in reality is was really cheap and outdated. The furniture was right out of the 80's and should be donated to the Goodwill- or maybe that is were they bought it. From the old carpet and ratty baseboards to the tacky paintings, I would have to say the $200.00 it cost for the night was not worth it. The view of the marina from our room (that had small plastic chairs) was blocked by the power lines and electrical boxes, not to mention the parking lot that was left out of the picture posted on the website. I must admit that the bed was comfortable and the breakfast was very good. I did not know that it was a "pet friendly" B&B and did not like the dog staring at me for my breakfast or the owners/managers leaving notes about keeping the doors shut so the cat doesn't get out-(by the way we did not open the door next to our room-it was already open). Sorry, but we will not be staying here again.
RHRussell
Oregon

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Rachel R
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 2 days after getting a deal from a certain "coupon" site. We had stayed at the lovely (and expensive) Channel House in Depoe Bay before, so knew a bit about the area.

The place is ran by a couple (and their 2 dogs and cat) who are extremely pleasant and nice. We chatted with the guy at check-in about dogs (they are dog friendly), local hikes that we wanted to do and the area itself - they have actually prepared a 1 day "tour" of the local sites that they leave in the room, and I must say it is a great tour, with some fantastic sights.

The other plus is the breakfast. There's a choice of 2 freshly cooked dishes each day (we had an Italian omelette, a ham & cheese soufle) but of course they'll modify that if you want. Both were very nice. It's not quite Channel House standards, but then you're not paying Channel House prices!

The room itself was fine. The decor is perhaps a little bit dated/tired, but the bed was truly excellent (no restless nights for either of us, and my wife is notoriously picky). There's the usual TV/DVD/VCR (they have a selection of movies, books & games for you to use) and a fireplace. Note that they have some "special" rooms which differ from the standard ones.

Overall there's just a lot of nice touches - from the itinerary, to the bottles of water in the communal fridge, the nice breakfasts (complete with a quiz one morning!) and 2 very friendly (and informative) owners.

I didn't have high hopes for this place, but it actually surprised me. About the worst thing I can say about it is that it's a bit of a walk up the harbor hill to get onto the main street!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
0.3 km away
Channel House
Channel House
#1 of 7 in Depoe Bay

Been to Depoe Bay Inn? Share your experiences!