“Home away from Home”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Depoe Bay
Pana Sea Ah Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 7 Depoe Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 October 2011

The Pana Sea Ah is always delightful and the owners Bob and Mary could not be nicer. After a long week of meetings in Portland, it is always nice to take a break and "go Home" at Pana Sea Ah. We are greeted by Bob's hearty laugh and Mary's huge smile! Its like going to your best friend's house and knowing that there, your weary soul will be soothed!

We had a fabulous time driving down to Florence for the day and walking the Riverwalk and window shoping at all the great boutiques! If you go to Florence (make sure you take a few of Bob's cookies) you MUST check out the dunes. For dinner, we went to the Side Door Cafe. Another excellent find!

We always hate Sundays when we have to leave and come back to the real world. Bob's peach bread pudding breakfast was to die for and made us wish we didn't have to head back to reality. As we drove back to Portland, we were already checking our calendars to see when we could get back to see our friends at the Pana Sea Ah! Soon, we hope...very soon!

Room Tip: The InnKeepers room is our favorite. It is off to the side of the house with a private deck. We were...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 October 2011

As a previous review related, there are many specific rules to staying at this B&B. It can be argued that the rules are part of Pana-Sea-Ah’s charm. The rules are evenly applied to everyone so that even Bob (the owner) takes his shoes off. The carpets were exceptionally clean and slippers are handsomely provided to accommodate the no shoes request. We stayed in the Pacific Room with the two-person Jacuzzi tub. Not being able to run the jets after 10:00 pm was not an unreasonable request and we did not find it to be a problem. This request keeps the noise to a minimum unlike the extreme noise we've encountered in hotels with jetted tubs that we’ve roomed in. The breakfasts were fantastic and Bob is the ultimate host.

One review item worth noting: Pana-Sea-Ah, is only mobility disabled accessible in the one room that allows pets. We suspected a room we wanted (one with a Jacuzzi tub for spouse -- hoping for mobility accessible for me) wasn't easily obtainable before even making reservations and it was confirmed when we arrived – there are multiple staircases to maneuver. Regardless, we will return even with this one inconvenience.

Clean rooms, great views, a short walk to the beach, no traffic, very little noise and fantastic chocolate chip cookies. We couldn’t ask for more. Thanks Bob for a great anniversary stay!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2011

I have just completed my 7th visit in about 5 years to this well designed and constructed B&B, Pana Sea Ah. It is located in a beautiful, scenic location that is steps away from a beach which never has more than a few people present. The genuinely warm hospitality that hosts Bob and Mary exhibit is like a breath of fresh air, and it is contagious! I always stay for 7 to 10 days, and I have met many new friends here.

There are just a few rules, all designed to preserve the cleanliness and serenity of this beautiful B&B. They ask that you remove your shoes once inside, otherwise sand from the nearby beach would be everywhere. They also ask that guests respect other guests right to peace and quiet after 10:00PM, a reasonable request. Bottom line, this is a great place to unwind and recharge; I am always very relaxed and stress free after spending a few days here.

The location of this B&B near Depoe Bay is about an hour and a half from the renowned winegrowing region, the Willamette Valley. Newport, with it's world class zoo and aquarium, is less than 30 minutes by car, and many other attractions are within easy driving distance.

Nearly everyone that I have met here is either a return guest, or someone they knew recommended it. The small residential road that leads to Pana Sea Ah drops enough to not be visible from highway 101, and therefore road noise is non existent; all that you hear is the rhythmic sound of the ocean waves. Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 October 2011

As you can read from all the reviews, it is a gorgeous location with hosts that bend over backwards to make you comfortable. They have opened up their home to strangers, and I admire their diligence to provide a comfortable stay. But since it is their home, you can't help but feel like there is an added level of expectation for you to leave the place EXACTLY as you found it. Kind of like when I was a kid and visiting my grandmother and was told countless times not to sit on specific furniture or go in certain rooms.
I can understand their rules for maintaining their property- I just wish that information was included in their website's policies and directions, so I knew what was expected before I booked a reservation.
Consequently, it was not as relaxing as we hoped.

Upon arriving, we climbed up the flight of stairs with our luggage, only to be told that before we go any further, we need to take our shoes off. For the rest of the trip, I was paranoid that I'd forget and wear my flip flops into the kitchen by mistake or leave my shoes behind when we left.

We looked forward to a nice leisurely dinner and then sitting in the hot tub under the stars. However, we didn't know until we arrived that quiet time starts at 10pm, and that all common areas are off limits. We sat in the hot tub for a whole 10 minutes. We would have made an earlier dinner reservation if we knew there was such an early curfew.

We learned at arrival that breakfast is served at 9am sharp, and we are expected to be prompt. I have to be on time for work every day. It's not something I want to have on my vacation. And while the breakfast was tasty, I would have been happy to have a simpler self serve meal and been able to relax and enjoy the view, not be making idle conversation with guests.

The written directions were helpful, as were the many notes placed around the room, explaining which towels are for which purpose, but again, it got a little exhausting trying to keep track of everything. It added a level of expecation to my trip and made it hard to relax.
And then when we tried to get on the wi fi to confirm our dinner reservation and actually needed a password, we had to go track down Bob to find it.
It would have been helpful if that pertinent information was included in the list of do's and don'ts.

While I appreciate the level of hospitality they are providing, it was simply too many rules for us, which subtracted more than it added to our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
16  Thank AJeanA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

This is a beautiful B&B. Located in a quiet residential area across from the beach. Bob really makes you feel comfortable and his breakfasts are delicious. He has great suggestions for area restaurants, things to do, etc. We will come back.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
4.1 km away
Inn at Arch Rock
Inn at Arch Rock
#3 of 7 in Depoe Bay

Been to Pana Sea Ah Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!