All reviews breakfast was included buffet style room was clean two sinks rooms are large would stay here again we've stayed staff was friendly no elevator coffee maker yogurt oregon coast pet microwave highway exterior bay
Reviewed 28 January 2016 via mobile

We choose the Red Lion hotel in Coos Bay on our most recent trip there. It is an older building that is well maintained and they have huge parking lot. We were pleased with our room. It was large, clean, well cared for and very quiet. The bed was comfortable and the shower roomy had lots of hot water. Did I mention QUIET! We were very surprised at how reasonable the cost was and it included a breakfast. All of the staff was helpful and friendly. We have stayed a couple of other places in Coos Bay and felt that the Red Lion was the best accommodations for the money. We will stay again!!

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
mel1887, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2016

We appreciate your feedback. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are a older property,but we do have some very nice features. So glad that you enjoyed your clean and quiet room. Our staff all work hard to provide our guests with a great place to stay. We do offer many different price points at a reasonable price. We do thank you for being our guest and we look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 15 January 2016

Let me start by saying that there are many positive aspects of choosing to stay here. I had a really spacious Premium King Room on the first floor, that was ever so conveniently located to my car. I literally backed up to the room! As a solo traveler, and after 8+ hours on the road, I literally broke out into song over the absolute ease of unloading my luggage. But... as the evening wore on, I quickly lost the tune.

The Red Lion-ess is indeed aging, so her furnishings are a bit worn. The bed was comfortable and clean, but I was also grateful for my slippers. There were the usual amenities, and at a great value. The room was in fact huge, but that meant pretty cold upon entering in the wintertime, so I had to set the thermostat to high to just get it livable. This is where my troubles began.

Oh man, did that heater rumble. All. Night. Long. Almost enough to drown out the party going on right outside of my convenient room's door. But being alone, I dare not complain, and it seemed that even our drunk comedian's lady wasn't finding him very funny either. Their argument soon escalated and they moved their party right above me anyway. Then they made up. <sigh> Time for more heater...

As the saying goes, there will always be someone prettier, smarter and younger than you, and this is sadly the case with this property. You can tell this was once a grand lady, probably garnering all of the attention, the hottest ticket around. Then... The Mill Casino Hotel & RV Park moved in. Ahhhhh, always a new girl in town. That's life. So, a once fine place is now playing second (or third) fiddle and it's hard for her to even compete. With The Mill booked to capacity for New Year's 2016, I secured the Red Lion for January 2nd and the week following the holiday. But in the end, I only spent a couple of nights there. By day two everyone had cleared out, leaving me all alone in the corner of this massive property. I began to feel a bit vulnerable parked way out there, with nothing but the roar of our aging heater left to keep me awake. All. Night. Long.

I checked out very, very early the next morning. (Hey, it's 2016. Time to break the imaginary chains and keep moving forward if things don't feel right.) I took the booking cancellation fee in stride...

Did I mention that the staff is excellent? They really are. They handled this weary and aging cat woman with kid gloves and always with warm smiles... >^..^<

Room Tip: Lower room is ideal for luggage, sore travelers, etc.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
mel1887, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback. All feedback is welcomed,so that we may make improvements to better serve our guests. I'm so sorry to hear that the heater was loud and kept you awake. We always want our guests to have a restful night. Our hotel has been around for many years and have provided a great place to stay. We continue to
do our best to make sure all our guests are comfortable. So happy that our staff was excellent during your stay. We always want our guests to have a warm and friendly welcoming with great customer service.
I'm sorry to hear that you were disturbed by other guests. Anytime this happens please call our front desk. We will take care of it. We do not allow others to be disrespectful to others. We appreciate all your comments and we do thank you for staying with us. We do hope that you will return and stay with us the next time you are in our area.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

I have stayed at this Red Lion MANY times over the last 40 years. In the past it was clearly the best place to stay in The Coos Bay Area. I'm not sure that it still is, but it is a good, clean, centrally-located motel and it is a good value for your money. For just four dollars more, I upgraded to a Superior Room and got a much more spacious room. This was money well spent and I recommend this inexpensive upgrade!

Room Tip: Go for the four dollar upgrade to a Superior Room. It well worth the money!
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Dale H
mel1887, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2016

We appreciate you giving us a review about your recent stay. We are happy to hear that you enjoy staying with us. We really appreciate your many years of loyalty with us. We always want to have a clean and a well priced guest room for our customers. We are conveniently located on HWY 101, which makes it easy to find us. We are a older property, but we feel we do provide a great service to our guests. Again we thank you and we hope to see you many more years to come.

Reviewed 10 January 2016

We thought we had booked a king room... when we got here they gave us a queen room. There was no furniture in the room. One chair at the desk. Nothing else to sit on except the bed. The furniture is teribbly scratched up and falling apart. We had also inquired about a handicapped room but I guess if you are need this amenity they charge you more. It did include breakfast buffet but there is not good service there, they keep the heated food trays empty and no pancakes or waffles. If you are lactose intolerant don't expect any non dairy creamers or milk either for your coffee or cereal and they use msg on their foods.

Room Tip: Stay at the casino hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KARJMorgan
mel1887, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2016

Thank you for your feedback. I'm so sorry to hear that you had problems during your stay. We are in the process of being remodeled soon. I apologize that your room wasn't what you thought you had booked. We do have accessible rooms available. We have some that have a king bed and some that have 2 beds. The kings are the same price as our accessible kings, I will be checking into the reasons why the price difference.
I'm sorry we fell short on the breakfast Buffet.Our Breakfast Buffet includes Scrambled eggs,Bacon,Sausage,Breakfast Potatoes,Cereals,Breads,Beverages. We do have non dairy creamer available for guests. I do hope that you will give us another chance to show you that we have a nice place to stay. Thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention. Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed 7 January 2016

We had a king bed room which was very spacious. The room rate that we had included breakfast; which was a big plus. The breakfast buffet was a hot breakfast with scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and sausage. They also had fruit, yogurt, cereals and breads.
Overall the room was great for the price and one of the nicer hotels in the area. I didn't realize that the room doors opened to the parking, but this didn't present any problems.

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room which was very convenientWe also had a dog with us and the pet fee of $15 seemed very reasonable.
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
mel1887, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Coos Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2016

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We have many guests that come to enjoy the holiday lights between Thanksgiving and New Years. It's amazing to see. We do have some very spacious rooms. Happy to hear that your room was priced just right and it included the breakfast. Our breakfast Buffet has many choices and we are happy that you enjoyed it. We thank you for giving us the opportunity to having you as our guest. We sure hope to see you again soon.