“Good for lunch !”
Review of Hot Tamale Grill

Hot Tamale Grill
Ranked #455 of 1,788 Restaurants in Oklahoma City
Reviewed 23 March 2016

One of the hard to find places if you don't know where you are looking for it, this restaurant is in the basement area besides Skirvin.

Overall the food is good, nothing spectacular but nothing bad. Good for lunch (but gets a little crowded).

Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

After a nearly twenty year hiatus I recently returned to work in downtown Oklahoma City. I had no idea where to go for a quick and tasty lunch as so many once familiar places have closed.

While walking across the Chase Bank plaza I noticed signs for Hot Tamale Grill pointing to their below-street-level cafe, and decided to give them a try.

A lunch-only restaurant, they're only open 11 a.m. - 2 p.m. week days. The menu is remarkably extensive for a place of this type. Various Mexican food items dominate the menu board, but they also offer salads and burgers.

The dining area was remarkably bright and vibrant, particularly for a lower level restaurant. Unoccupied tables were clean and workers were diligent to remove trash left by departing customers. In short: it was a nice place to eat.

The counter worker quickly recognized I was a first time customer but made nothing of it. She was kind and patient, and was sure to describe all ingredients to make sure I'd be happy with the meal.

After payment I was pleasantly surprised to receive a small paper sack containing some very good tortilla chips and tasty salsa as an appetizer.

It's hard to go wrong with street tacos. I ordered two with shredded chicken. They were generously sized and quite tasty. I chose mild salsa instead of spicy, and am glad I did. Along with spices on the chicken, the mild sauce packs a zing. I imagine the spicy version would've more than I would have enjoyed.

The Bottom Line -

Hot Tamale Grill is reasonably priced for a downtown, lunch only eatery. Two tacos with chips and salsa cost just over $7.00. It's clean, quiet, comfortable, and easy to reach if you know where to look. I anticipate returning once a week or so to try other menu items like stacked enchiladas.

3  Thank The_Real_Birdcatcher
Reviewed 7 January 2015

Came here with a couple coworkers for a quick lunch between meetings and it was really great. Walked in shortly after 11am and only a few people were in line ahead of us so very quick ordering and the food came out within five minutes of placing our order. the line was nearly out of the door by the time 11:40 rolled around. I got the Cesar Chavez salad with poblano ranch and the other two got vegetarian bowls all of which were large in portion and filling. It was also very reasonably priced - for three meals and drinks our bill came in around $28. Will definitely go here again if I'm in OKC.

Reviewed 11 November 2014

Sure, it's not going to be the best Mexican food you've ever had; but, it's definitely decent given its speed. It's located downtown, is quick, and will definitely hit the spot if you've only got a few minutes for lunch between meetings. Their menu hits all the highlights: tacos, enchiladas, tamales, stuffed poblanos, etc. - and even includes burgers and fries. There is a limited seating area, but the majority of its customers are downtown workers who will take it to go. They're only open M-F from 11-2. So, it's not really a tourist destination, but just a good little joint if you're hungry and doing business in downtown OKC!