“(Unfortunately) disappointed by both the coffee and the food”
Review of The Screen Door

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
The Screen Door
Ranked #285 of 347 Restaurants in Norman
Price range: USD 5 - USD 10
Description: A bistro on Main Street in Norman which serves soups, salads, sandwiches along with quiche and homemade bakery items. The majority of our ingredients are organic and local. All our paper products are biodegradable and recyclable and we donate all tips to local charities.
Reviewed 17 January 2017 via mobile

Excited to have learned of a new coffee spot in Norman that also serves small bites and lunch, I visited with my S/O this afternoon to work remotely and enjoy some food and drink in a pleasant atmosphere. The experience was a bit strange from the moment we entered. There was a foul smell in the air, an odd organization to the space (no readily identifiable path leading towards the counter), and the young woman who took our order had a very strange affect (no welcome greeting, quickly walked away from the counter before payment was complete). Without exaggeration, my soy mocha tasted like a used Keurig cup had been re-pulled into a (meant to be quirky?) vintage mug and mixed with powdered chocolate and milk. Watery and in no way up to par with the artisanal, craft coffee beverages available at Norman staples like Gray Owl or Crimson and Whipped Cream. The curried chickpeas dish we ordered was not bad, which is unfortunately the best thing that can be said about it, although the pitas were served buttered(?). I doubt I will be returning to this odd little spot on Main Street. Overall, not a great experience.

1  Thank Alyssa H
Reviewed 29 October 2016

This is a nice space, a pleasant spot on Main Street. We were politely greeted and seated, and after a look at the menu, we ordered our food. There is a limited choice of various odd combinations. My date got a turkey sandwich, and I had the Roasted Vegetable and Goat Cheese Grits. We waited in anticipation, and received our food in relatively short time.

The sandwich was small, and my date complained that it was bland. My grits came in a small paper bowl. The grits alone with the goat cheese would have been fine, but the "roasted vegetables" consisted of a strange medley of onions, bell peppers, broccoli, celery and summer squash. None of it was roasted, because the squash was hard, while the broccoli was overcooked. Don't these people know how to cook vegetables? It was as if they took leftovers and threw them into a pot of pre-cooked grits. Roasting brings out the sweetness and flavor of vegetables. They should be at least lightly caramelized and served fresh from the oven on TOP of the grits, not stirred INTO them! This dish had almost no flavor at all. The squash still had its skin on. I'm sure the broccoli came out of a bag. If you're going to roast vegetables, they should all be of the same texture--root vegetables, potatoes and summer squash go well together, for instance--not broccoli, which is best served by itself. The rosemary flavoring was dull and unappetizing. I had to add salt and Tabasco to make this dish palatable, and that's saying a lot, considering how awful the food tasted.

Service was fine, but we had a good laugh at the size of the napkins they gave us. They were cocktail napkins! Come on, folks! You will waste more paper handing out cocktail napkins than you will using cloth napkins or at least dinner size paper napkins.

We won't be visiting The Screen Door again, and that's a shame, since they contribute to various worthy charities. They simply don't make it worthwhile for the diner to eat there. Hire a better cook, overhaul the eclectic (and frankly bizarre) menu, and serve the food more elegantly. Who knows--they might get extra tips for their causes.

Been to The Screen Door? Share your experiences!