“Sketchy exterior but clean interior and EXCELLENT food”
Review of Magic Wok

Magic Wok
Ranked #60 of 138 Restaurants in Muskogee
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 22 January 2016

Here's a small hole in the wall restaurant that I still remember after almost a year. I eat out often and live in the SF bay area so surrounded by tasty places, but I still have an urge to eat at Magic Wok. They serve good food.

Maybe I was extra hungry that day and just finished driving a couple hundred miles in an RV, but whatever the reason I passed thru Moskogee and wanted Chinese food, ended up at Magic Wok.

I was a bit scared about eating there due to the dilapidated building, but being hungry, I decided to stop and see how clean the inside is. Inside is a lot better than the outside; kitchen is clean for a Chinese restaurant.

Magic Wok ,in a way, brings on the unexpected. It serves big city good Chinese food in the middle of nowhere. I wasn't expecting that. Here, I'm in a small Oklahoma town where chopsuey and Panda Express rules, you've got a real Chinese restaurant. Ok, I admit that once awhile I crave Panda Express, but Magic Wok was an unexpected treat.

I ordered fried noodles, orange beef, and generals chicken. The standard fare youd find in nearly all Chinese restaurants across the US. And the Wok did not disappoint, very solid showing, a bit on the salty side though. They cook up everything fresh, like restaurants, but at fast food steam table prices.

Anyway, turns out their chef started his training at a highend hotek in Taiwan and worked at restaurants across the US before settling in Moskogee. He also cooks special orders. Well, after learning that, I ordered togo a boneless crunchy duck (he deboned that duck in under 5 mintues while chatting with me), a spicy beef dish that I had once in China and described to him, and twice cooked pork. He also has this grilled beef on a stick that's pretty tasty, his fusion of American and Chinese food.

Here, you are paying fast food prices for very good restaurant quality food. Being a small operation, you can even discuss with the chef personally about food and have it cooked up right there. And the taste is great even on something new, like the spicy beef dish which I was only able to kind of describe it to him.

That food fed us for a day while on our RV trip.
Unbelievable value; unexpectedly excellent food.

2  Thank C T

Reviewed 30 October 2014 via mobile

Past reviewers were correct when saying the portions are generous. The individual pieces of chicken were so big we couldn't even cut through them with our flimsy plastic silverware provided. I wasn't craxr about the place as soon as I walked in. It is DOWN RIGHT FILTHY! You have to walk past the cooking area to get to the restroom and let's just say I'm glad I ate before I walked back there. The kitcr was even worse than the dining area. The entire time we were there the owner was screaming and yelling at the two teenagers who were working the front. The entire experience was off putting.

1  Thank cd8982
Reviewed 19 August 2014

For those saying that this is aimed at those being frugal, this is far from being actual cheap Chinese food. I do appreciate the fast service and the location, but besides a few dishes, I do question the quality of the food. Now do not get me wrong, I am giving this four out of five, but I will tell you that some of their dishes are hit or miss.

This is probably the best in Muskogee, but there is not much competition at all.

1  Thank ChrisS817
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

Magic Wok doesn't look like much from the outside. In fact, it look downright sketchy, but don't judge a Chinese restaurant by the grime. The woman who took our was so sweet. The food was amazing! It was decently priced and the portions were generous. I haven't had Chinese food like this, and I'm from New York. I highly recommend it!! :-)

1  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed 6 January 2014

For the last two years that I lived in Muskogee, my friends and I would go at least once or twice a day to Magic Wok. 5-6 times a week. Sometimes for just a Chicken Teriyaki, Beef ChoCho, Cream Cheese Wontons, or Steamed Dumplings. Usually at least once a day for a huge meal. I've never, ever had a bad meal here and the portions are huge. I still drive once a week to get Magic Wok and when the ice storm in December was coming...I got 6 days worth of meals to go and ate like a king in my apartment. Here are my order of preferences for the different types of food.

Appetizers:
1) Cream Cheese Wontons (Sweet and Delicious)
2) Chicken Teriyaki
3) Beef ChoCho
4) Steamed Dumplings
5) I haven't tried any other appetizers...these are too delicious to pass up on.

Meals (Get Noodles with them instead of rice)
1) Ivy Duck (absolutely worth the price)
2) Black Pepper Chicken (add beef, extra broccoli, extra zucchini it's fantastic)
3) Beef & Broccoli (I've eaten Beef & Broccoli since I could eat...this is the best)
4) Garlic Chicken
5) Walnut Chicken
6) I'd list the entire menu, so start with those.

Funny story, Chicken Fried Rice is not rice with bits of southern fried chicken in it. I saw someone that looked high as a kite arguing that he didn't get what he ordered for his wife.

I can't say enough how great this place is.