We stayed here a few years ago and will probably visit again even though they seem to have many of the same problems they had when we were here last time. The best thing is the scenery, and Lodge and guest roome are beautiful - reminds me of a slightly downscale Big Cedar lodge in Ridgedale MO. The scenery and walking trails are very nice in a desert setting. The lake was VERY LOW which meant our "lake view" room was overlooking 200-300 old car tires which were put there to form an artificial reef. Probably a good idea when the lake is at the normal level, Not pretty when the lake level is so low.
We purchased a package through TravelZoo which included 2-nights lodging, 2 breakfasts and 1 dinner for 2 guests for $149.00. Great deal at that price!!
Drove in about 10pm on a Friday night. Forgot how long the drive is from OKC. You make a turn and go 8-10 miles after getting off I-40, then another turn and 8-10 miles, then another turn and 8-10 miles etc. Maybe it is just that you feel like you are in the middle of nowhere - and I guess you kind of are - but that is also what make it very relaxing when you do get there.
Joe the bartender was excellent. We met him in the restaurant when he was doing what he could to try and help the regular wait staff. Although almost all the guests seemed to be purchasing the buffet, the waiters were still not able to handle the number of guests. Trying to get a water or coffee refill was almost impossible. lots of the staff seemd to be clearing tables and setting up place settings, but apparently they are not allowed to help guests with refills. My wife tried once at breakfast and at dinner to choose something off the menu instead of the buffet - BIG MISTAKE!!! It took 45 minutes to an hour before she received her order, and it was 1/2 cold when she did finally receive it. Maybe the wait staff just need some extra training, or maybe they were overwhelmed by all of the TravelZoo guests, and were not yet prepared for the volume. It seemed as though the hotel was sold out on a March 2 weekend.
Don't think about going to another restaurant nearby - I think the closest thing is a Pizza Hut about 20 miles!!
Parking lot is only on the South and West sides of the Lodge, which means if your guest room is on the North and/or East side, you will be carrying luggage quite a distance. Best to have luggage with wheels although they do have some luggage carts available in the lobby. I noticed several seasoned citizens struggling with luggage even to the Handicapped accessible parking spots.
Hot tub was very nice, mostly covered, but open on one side to see a few stars!
Again the scenery is very nice. Lots of nice walking trails. We saw 6-8 deer on our drive into the property Friday night and 10-12 deer down at the waters edge early in the morning on Sunday. (Including a couple of fawns playing in the water)
We will stay here again, but probably only if we get a decent price. Great place to unwind, walk a little and read a good book or 2!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Quartz Mountain Resort, Arts and Conference Center is located on Lake Altus in the Wichita Mountains of Southwestern Oklahoma. The beauty of the Resort and landscape that surrounds it needs to be seen to be believed. Quartz Mountain Resort was re-built in 2001 and and its decor has a distinct "lodge" feeling. The property features 118 beautifully appointed guestrooms with lake or mountain views and 12 cabins. The Resort is ideal for meetings, retreats and conferences. Choose from the 5,000 square foot Grand Ballroom, one of five 2,000 square foot pavillions with lake views or the 697 seat, acoustically perfect Twin Peaks Performance Hall. Quartz Mountain Resort is home to one of the most famed dining experiences in Southwest Oklahoma, The Sundance Cafe. With breathtaking mountain and lake views, the Sundance Cafe features a menu that is distinctly Southwestern with a Continental flair. For recreation, the property has an 18-hole golf cource, in-door pool and hot tub and an on-site activities director. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia APAC, Hooroo Pty Ltd, Wotif.com and lastminute.com.au so you can book your Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Quartz Mountain Resort Arts Hotel Lone Wolf
- Quartz Mountain Resort Arts And Conference Center
- Quartz Mountain Lodge
- Quartz Mountain Hotel Arts