Quartz Mountain Resort Arts & Conference Center
Priceline
Clarion Inn(Elk City)
USD 55*
TripAdvisor
All reviewshiking trailslake viewwichita mountainsbeds were comfortableindoor poolquartz mountain resortsurrounded by mountainsdroughtoklahomaquarryrelaxation
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We recently spent a very relaxing and extremely enjoyable weekend at Quartz Mtn. Resort. The peaceful surroundings, comfortable rooms, great views, and well prepared, and served, meals contributed to a solid and blissful weekend.

I'll single out Rebecca for exceptional service, followed fairly closely by Joe. That isn't to take away from the other staff, but these two servers made our meals wonderful, irrespective of whether we made our selections from their ample buffets and ordered from the wide ranging menu.

The areas for improvement we noted are minor in comparison to the overall experience, but as with any well traveled property, some things do need more attention.

The spa was clean and a decent temperature but is in need of some TLC from an appearance standpoint. The rest of the aquatic area is well maintained but the spa, being covered but still outdoors, seemed somewhat less cared for than the other areas.

The carpet in our room (205) was showing visible signs of wear in a couple of places. A light fixture in the bathroom had an occasional flicker. Sometimes little things like that can get under my skin, but the overall peaceful pace relegated the items to an 'oh by the way we noticed a and b" as we were checking out.

I've stayed here before, long ago in the earlier lodge, and other family members have been to this lodge in the past. Everyone has always had a nice time here,a nd I know we will return.

Room Tip: Even though the lake is down, ask for a lake side room if one is available, and request the upper floor. Oh, and when the lake ultimately regains its level, 205 is an excellent combination room for both lake and mountain views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I booked a two night special thru TravelZoo for two people. We have traveled from Japan to NYC,Mexico and many other locations.For people who enjoy outdoor activities this is a great place to visit.Hike,fish,watch wildlife,swim or sit in the hot tub. Cozy lounge for a glass of wine and enjoy the fireplace.The food is excellent and the servings are larger than a normal person needs. The staff at the front desk do a good job.Housekeeping and the wait staff do a great job.Your wish seems to be their command.I/We highly recommend this location for a relaxed and enjoyable visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gordon K
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was our first time at this resort, and besides some of the resorts shortfalls we had a good time. We stayed away from the Buffet's and ordered off the Menu. Food was warm, not hot. The sides served with most dishes were not per the menu. Sometimes the kitchen determined what sides you got. Service at the restaraunt was sub-par, mostly waiting on either silverware or drinks. Getting a re-fill in this place was near impossible. I saw a couple of servers hanging out near the bar, watching ESPN for most of the night.

The room we got was heavily sprayed with air fresheners. After opening the double doors and turning the air on, I finally realized someone the night before had been smoking cigars in the room. The resort was booked, so we were stuck in this room. My wife and I brought our kid and we thought about leaving due to this.

The pool was nice, although watch out for the spiders in the water (they were dead). Hot tub was working one day, but not the next.

The best part about the trip was not the resort but the scenery around the resort. The trails and sightings of deer everywhere.

To sum it up, I would go back if there were a cheap deal somewhere online. But I will not be paying full price.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We have to agree with most of the previous reviews.

We just returned from a weekend at the Quartz Mountain Resort. This place is a fabulous location on lake Altus. The lake is down due to the bad drought going on in this area. However, it is a beautiful setting. The rooms are nice and spacious. Everything is clean and neat but showing some wear. The staff is very friendly and helpful............

OK, now for the negative. This place has a wonderful chance to be a top notch resort but the resturant is a major downer. The food is pretty good but, the service is very sub par. We dined there four times during our stay and every time the service was, well....... terrible. Wrong orders, no silverware, drinks delivered half way through the meal. The waitress brought part of our order and then forget we were there. Two orders were completely wrong. Only a complaint to the Manager (?) did we get any help and get the rest of our dinner. After that, it took 3 tries to get the tabs correct. For breakfast, we ate off the buffet, (food is pretty good) but, our drinks were not brought to the table until we were almost finished eating.The staff did not seem very well trained and did not seem very happy. We were very disappointed.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Wow, where to begin...fantastic setting, nestled in a rocky nook of Southwestern Oklahoma, on the edge of a lake. I arrived in Mid-Jan, with the intention of locating lodging elsewhere for an extended stay. I work in the wind energy industry, and have a daily allowance to be spent as i desire on food and lodging. I have been to at least 5 different motels in the surrounding area, and though i could have gotten a bed at any one of them at a "bargain" rate, i choose to stay here because of the quality of the facilities AND the hospitality of the staff. I have worked and stayed in hotels and motels from Maine to Florida, Texas to Kansas, and never been to a superior place.

My drive to work in Hobart every morning is untroubled by traffic, or problems arising from construction or hazards. I glide into work refreshed by a night spent on a great bed, in an immaculate room, with every convenience a traveler could ask for--soft bed, big fluffy clean pillows, room smells great as no smoking is allowed and cleaning staff is very diligent. Showers, tub and facilities are very clean, hot water instantly at your command, plenty of towels and necessities replenished daily. I have never returned to my room and found it less than spotless.

The restaurant has gotten a new chef since i arrived here approximately 45 days ago, (yes that is right, i have been here a month and a half, and have no intentions of leaving, at least not until the project is complete) and that man has totally revamped the menu, bringing a true love of food with him. This evening (Friday) which is usually a seafood buffet, i had some of the best tenderloin this foodie has ever experienced. I am a darn good cook, and get my share of compliments on the few things i have perfected, but his expertise makes me realize that i am only a bumbling amateur. Service is something i REALLY look for, and bad service makes me avoid a place like the plague, no matter how good the food is...The service is excellent, everyone greets me by name, smiling and pleasant. Special large parties can preempt the normal cuisine, so an inquiry may be needed if you want the Friday seafood buffet, which is good, usually featuring all you can eat crab legs, large shrimp (ha ha) and fish and changing dishes such as frog legs, and crawdad - the coconut shrimp last week rocked, as good as anything Joes or red lobster offers. Fresh greens, homemade slaw, fresh raw veggies for the salad lover. Love that romaine and iceberg mix. Always fresh croutons and well...sorry told you i was a foodie, just one more thing BREAKFAST oh yeah, the best bar none french toast i have ever had. Truly a excellent breakfast buffet, no powdered scrambled eggs here, every bit is fresh. Can't stop with breakfast, on the few days i have been rained or winded out at work, i have rushed back to ENJOY the ultimate in club sandwiches, had to take my iron from my room and smash the sandwich down to be able to get it in my mouth (well, maybe that is a bit much), order the french fries crispy and they won't disappoint, trust me. Under ten bucks, you cannot finish it all. French toast about the same price, a little high for the average guy like me, but so good, it is worth it. Presentation is beautiful, even in to-go boxes, my wife said to me on a visit, "Wow, I have never seen a boxed dinner so lovely". This evening i had a chocolate chip cookie that i took back to my room, so good that I wanted to go back down to the restaurant for more. Diet, i am on a diet.

Have lost some weight while here, plenty of areas to walk around and check things out.
Usually i spend all my time hunkered down in my room, but this place is so nice and open that i find myself roaming around, always finding new sights and cool people to visit with (staff mostly as i do not like to bother other travelers) I am not particularly sociable, but the staff makes me feel like friends and family, from Josh, Jen, and Santana at the front dest to the service engineers to the bartender Joe.

Had a couple of misunderstandings regarding some promotional offers that they were offering, but the management always came down on my side of things, taking care of me in every case. Wow, they know how to make you feel special here.

Well, i guess i need to find some faults here or you who read this will think i am working for them. Hmm... when i go out on my balcony overlooking the lake to smoke a cigar, there is a transformer that makes a little hum, not too bad but it could be covered by a outbuilding of some sort, i just turn on my room fan/heater/air conditioner, and the hum is lost in the low wush of the heater/a.c. This is not a problem if you are anywhere other than on the extreme ends of the hotel. Good heater, had an issue with the filter after a particularly windy day (smelled a little like dust) but after one call and a visit from Steve (one of the handymen/engineers) problem solved. I have never had to wait for service, when i had an issue, OH, AND JUST SO YOU KNOW, i am very finicky about things, i can be a royal pain in the rear, but they just take it in stride and smile and take care of it, for instance I looked at 6 or 7 different rooms before I selected the one I am in now ( a double for which the rate did not increase when i had a friend stay with me for two weeks), my satisfaction was their only concern. One other issue i had was with housekeeping who picked up a glass i had brought with me that looked like one of their bar glasses, they took the time to locate it and return it to me the next day. So..... Just love this place, could go on but well...you get the idea.
JUST CALL ME ONE HAPPY TAZ. LATER.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor room located in the middle of the complex near the elevator on the lakeside. The view is excellent, with no ambient noise from the transformers outside, as one is on each end of the building.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo