“Excellant Service and the food is good too”

Muddy Misers Cool River Cafe
Ranked #3 of 112 Restaurants in Zanesville
Price range: USD 10 - USD 45
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Cozy, rustic dining with outside seating available in summer. Lunch and dinner specials daily.
Reviewed 8 August 2017

The last time we were in the area and wanted to try this restaurant it was closed. We were very pleased that we managed to get there and it was open. We stopped in after a day at the Wilds and Visiting the Big Musky Bucket.

First, I must point out that there were 7 of us in the party. I was the first to arrive the rest were in the parking lot getting ready to come in, was greeted right away and asked if I had been help and I told them that we had a party of 7. I was told to wait just one moment. As I was waiting in less than a minute another staff member walked by and asked if I had been help. Several people walked by asked to same question. They were very aware when someone was waiting. We really were seats in 3-4 minutes. We got there at the perfect time too because within 10 minutes there was a line of people waiting to get in and each some good food.

Our server was very attentive and very accommodating.

The special for the evening was the Prime Rib 12 / 16 Oz. I order the 16Oz with the sweet burban fries. The Prime Rib was perfect and the fries were excellent. I did not get very much since I shared with the who table loved the fries too. My son got the two crab cakes, 4 shrimp Mac & Cheese dinner. The crabs cakes was pretty good and the shrimp were large and perfectly cooked. The Mac and Cheese was ok. They needed some salt which made them better. They were cheesy. Once some salt was added that tasted really good. I am not faulting them for this. Many places today are watching the sodium and prefer that people add the salt they desire. One of our friends had the shrimp dinner. The same size shrimp like the crab cakes, nice and large and cooked perfectly. Another Dinner we has the Trout with the Planko crust. That dinner was really good. It made my wife upset a bit that she did not get that dish. She was deciding between the Trout and the Pork Chops. She got the Chops, the dish was good but the tasting of the trout since we shared she regretted that she choose the chops. That just means we have to go back.

We were told there Ribs are really good and I saw people had ordered them and they did look good.

For dessert, we had the Lemon Pie and it was excellent. They had several options and they all sounded really good.

I definitely recommend checking them out and try the ribs too next time.

Reviewed 15 July 2017 via mobile

Saw where they were the #1 rated in Zanesville so thought we'd give it a try. They didn't disappoint. 5 of us each got a different entree. Fish & chips, ribs, salmon, crab cakes and I got the N.Y. strip. Everyone raved about their meal. Even my Father in law who is pretty picky. He told the waitress they were the best ribs he'd ever had.
My steak was cooked just right and had a wonderful marinated flavor. I got the vegetable of the day, green beans which were also good along with a salad. Unfortunately I don't live in Zanesville so can only go occasionally.
It is a little pricey but we'll worth it.
Will definitely be back.
Good job guys and girls!

Reviewed 13 July 2017

One the banks of the Muskingum River,this restaurant is cozy and a bit old-fashioned. It's more of a neighborhood bar/eatery. Many of the patrons appear to be regulars. Service was a bit slow, the food was good, not great.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

We had a nice variety of food and a few drinks. The only issue was that the waitress was training another girl so we had a little delay here and there but that is to be expected. Overall a pleasant trip and we will go again.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Traveling through Ohio on I70? Take a break from the road and have a lovely dinner at Muddy Misers.This restaurant named after a man met by Zane Gray, is a great dinner spot. We enjoyed our dinner on the patio by the river. It is 5 min or so off the interstate. Warning, if you take the first exit eastbound, the street is closed for the most direct route.
I really enjoyed the walleye ruben. My daughter had the crabcake with shrimp and muddy mac n cheese. Very good. The flat bread pizza our son ordered, was just fine. Kid friendly. My hubby had a great spinach salad with hot bacon dresssing.
They carried the local beer from Weasel boy Brewing (which is just down the street). It was a nice Mango wheat, nice and refreshing for a summer evening.

We stopped on a weekday and did not have to wait. But I imagine it could be much busier on the weekend.

BTW our server Amy was fabulous. Very friendly and helpful!

Unsure if they are open for lunch. Please check their website.