“Great New Restaurant in Willoughby ”

Hook & Hoof New American Kitchen and Cocktail
Ranked #11 of 132 Restaurants in Willoughby
Reviewed 15 February 2018 via mobile

It opened recently and the food is awesome. Rick the bartender came over from the old Noosa and Chas is the new owner. Great cocktails. Thanks Rick. I had the special, elk, it was prepared medium rare. OUTSTANDING!!!! Ambience is upscale. Great place for a date. Can’t wait to go back.

Reviewed 25 January 2018

Here is my reason for the low rating -- the menu tries to be too inventive -- why do we need cinnamon on the vegetables? Or sweet sauces on the entrees? Couldn't we have simpler yet tasty food?

First we got pear salads -- they have candied walnuts which I love -- but they had pieces of nut shell mixed in and we were lucky not to break a tooth. It meant you had to carefully examine every fork full because you did not want a surprise. Otherwise the salad was a nice lettuce combo with a tasty pear. I would have had the grilled caesar but it had duck -- now is that necessary? Whatever happened to a traditional caesar?

My main course was swordfish and it was so tough that I gave up after the first couple of bites. The vegetables had a mishmash of flavorings so I did not enjoy them either, and I just had the waitress take it away. They did take it off the bill so that was fair of them.

Others in our party had elk and scallops and seemed happy enough. Again the elk had some too sweet sauce, and would have been improved by leaving that off.

For dessert they had a choice of 2 possibilities and neither were chocolate. Again a poor choice on their part. I tried the creme brulee cheesecake and it was so-so.

The food came out at different times so there was a lag between the first person and last person to receive their entree. One person had to start to not let the food get cold so it was not well timed for dining together.

The mixed drinks were the best part -- they seem to have a very good bar.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

This was a first visit to this restaurant that we had heard great reviews on. We all ordered something different and overall, our experience was really good. I ordered the seafood chowder, and when it came out, it was only luke warm. I asked for it to be reheated and the second time it came out, it was perfect. The taste was excellent and it was loaded with seafood. I'll definitely have this again. I order the scallops for my entrée, and they were perfect. Unfortunately, the starch they were with was again, only luke warm. My husband had the featured porkchop of the evening and again, the chop was excellent, but the broccoli and starch were only luke warm. This was pretty much the experience our friends also had. So we're guessing those working in the kitchen just need better coordination of timing their plating so all of the food is still hot when it is served. Two at our table had salads, and they were both great. One was the "dirty ceasar", and the other was the pear salad. Highly recommend both.

So, overall, we will definitely give this restaurant another try. I do recommend reservations, because the place is small. It also has a great bar. Give it a try!!

Reviewed 13 January 2018

This place is wonderful and we can't wait to return! We had reservations, were greeted at the door and seated promptly. Drinks are amazing - there were 6 of us - and all of us got something different / no complaints from anyone! We ordered several appetizers, my favorite was the smoked mussels and clams - very tender and tasty. Two of us had the airline chicken, tomahawk pork chop, scallops, steak & fries and swordfish. The pork was super tender and juicy, chicken was really good - the folks that had the scallops and steak said their food was the best they've had in a long time. We really enjoyed our dinner here and would definitely recommend it. Our server Kim was great, she answered all our questions, described the specials in detail and was on point. They have certainly earned our business and we will be back soon!

2  Thank Phoebe156
Reviewed 7 January 2018 via mobile

If you love bourbon this is the place! The food is absolutely delicious and creative as well. Our experience from the service to the drinks to food was top notch. We can't wait to go back!

1  Thank Mike W