“We really enjoyed the history and ghost stories”

Waynesville Walking Ghost Tour
Ranked #5 of 13 things to do in Waynesville
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My significant other and I really enjoyed the Waynesville Walking Ghost Tour yesterday. We did the summer tour for $12 each (but not the dinner at the Hammel House). The tour lasts for about an hour as you walk around downtown Waynesville. I didn't know there was a triple murder many years ago in Waynesville, so you will learn a lot of history while on the tour. There was also a murder at the Hammel House many years ago. Our tour guide took us to different houses and told us about the history of each house and any hauntings people have experienced in recent years. She also told us about a little girl in period clothing who has been seen in and around the Friends Home Museum, who we assume is a ghost. There is even a ghostly cat who is sometimes seen and heard in the Hammel House. I was surprised at how many stories of ghost sightings and hauntings there are in Waynesville. The tour is really fun and interesting and I'm glad we went. I wouldn't mind going on the tour again someday and also going to the dinner at the Hammel House.

7  Thank Debra M
in 6 reviews
"historic"
"halloween"

Reviewed 23 February 2013

Love these fall tours given by the volunteers of the Friends Museum. Lots of history mixed in with a little ghost stuff that's not too scary for little kids. I went with my 9 year old step-daughter in 2011 and I think she was too young to appreciate the history, but she did enjoy the night time stroll and appreciated the potential scaryness and "ghost history" of the houses featured.

6  Thank Two_OHDivers
Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I have attended the Waynesville Walking Ghost Tour for six years in a row. We start the evening with the Ghost and Goblin dinner at The Hammel House (our favorite Waynesville attraction) and hear ghost tales between courses. We then meet a representative from the Friends Museum who takes us on the outside tour, telling us various ghostly stories that took place in buildings along Main Street. We then finish at the Friends Museum for cookies and cider. We have found that anything that involves Hammel House Inn is 5 Star all the way! This is a great event and we wouldn't miss it!

6  Thank Rhonda5519jimi
Reviewed 5 October 2008

Cheaper if you don't stay at the Inn. Reservations are required. We made ours a month in advance. Event includes dinner at the Hammel House Inn. We arrived early, (6 p.m.) and sat on the front porch of the Hammel House Inn overlooking Main St. Soon others gathered and the door to the Inn opened at 6:45 p.m. Our tour guide introduced himself just before the door opened and gave us a brief description of the nights events. Dinner was nice with a salad, bread and drink to start. The main course was vegetables, chicken and gravy. Very good! Then desert was pumpkin bread pudding. It was fantastic! As you are eating, the guide and the Inn owner share some of the hauntings of the Inn along with history of the Inn. After dinner, The guide takes you on a evening stroll of Main St. stopping at each house sharing events that have taken place of visits from those who have passed on. You will also learn many historical facts about the town of Waynesville. After a trip up Main St., you are invited to visit the "Friends Museum". A house built by the original Quaker settlers to help others by providing a place to stay. The guide and the keepers of the museum make you feel right at home as you enjoy coffee, tea, and cookies while touring the rooms that are set as they were in the late 1800's and early 1900's with some of the occupants possessions still in place. The tour starts at 7 p.m. and ours ended before 10 p.m. An October must to get you in the mood for Halloween!

9  Thank crackerman1981