“Two Years Later...”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 24 August 2017

I should have head my examined. About two years after our last visit I decided to go to the Steer Barn again! Four of us drove 80 miles, and spent over $150 for another miserable meal.

I do have one improvement to report since my last review. They have increased the wattage on their lightbulbs. You can actually see where you are going and no longer need your cell phone flashlight to read the menu.

The service was similar to what you would expect at Denny's, but the food wasn't nearly as good.

The relish tray was delicious. The Hungarian Goulash soup was superb. The onion rings were cold and saturated with oil. The bread was OK. The salads tiny. The baked potatoes were OK, but the presentation was non-existent and they were also tiny.

The steaks were all over done (we had ordered one medium-well, and the rest medium). They were tough and lacked the flavor you would expect from well-marbled USDA Choice beef.

I really wanted to like the Steer Barn. I remember 20 years or so ago when it was a Zagat's rated restaurant.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

This has been a staple in the area for more than 40 years. Great ambience, although a little dark. The condiment dishes are always good. They bring out 3-6 different dishes as appetizers. Along with some garlic bread, there is no need for official appetizers. The menu has not changed in the 40 years I've lived in the area. A little pricey, although, the scallops are the best thing on the menu. The interior and menu could both use some updating. Still a good place for a date.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Great atmosphere, great service, and good food. We were really impressed with everything here. It was a pleasant suprise just off the main highway.

The S, General Manager at Steer Barn, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2017

Thank you for dining with us! We hope to see you again!

Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

We had three couples. Six meals and only two were good. Sirloin steak and scallops were good. Chicken and prime rib were not edible. Over priced meals. Waitress was great! That is the only reason to give them a one star. We will not go back.

I am extremely sorry to hear of your experience. We have had some changes to the kitchen so I would like to invite you back for another try. We are striving to make this restaurant the best it can be. If you would call the restaurant to discuss your evening, I would appreciate it. 419-294-3860. Thank you! Lisa

Reviewed 23 May 2017

The atmosphere is antique and fun, warm and delightful. The wonderful food and friendly bar complete this unique restaurant.