“Worst experience ever !”
Review of Idle-Hour Ranch

Idle-Hour Ranch
Ranked #7 of 12 things to do in Troy
Reviewed 8 October 2017 via mobile

The owner / manager was rude and confrontational to our group. This fact along with the rundown "ranch" and the dirty facilities is the reason for this review. This is no place for families to visit ! After paying admission of $12 per adult and $10 for children over 5, it seems that an additional $10 is the add-on price for anything extra...a flashlight for the corn maze, a camel ride (once around the field) or even food for the animals (mostly bread). It is clear that the main goal of this business is making as much money as possible from the guests.

3  Thank annegA3536FG
idlehourranch, Owner at Idle-Hour Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2017

You and your group are nothing short of an embarrassment to the Scouts longstanding tradition for upholding the dignity and refinement of our nation's youth. You've been the most disruptive group we've had the misfortune of entertaining at our facility since they were here last year. In all of the 15 years that we have entertained guests on our property I can confidently say that your group is by far one of the worst we have ever encountered. Your group began their visit by bombarding our volunteering staff with downright chaos as soon as they entered the door. You adults bullied our cashier to the point of tears and then made fun of her for, as you so snidely put it, "having a meltdown". Both the children AND adults showed nothing but flagrant disregard for our rules, and continued to disrespect the staff and other guests by refusing to heed multiple warnings regarding their misbehavior. In both instances of your group having visited our property we have had to apologize to our other guests complaining about the disruption of your group. The children repeatedly 'cried wolf' with blood curdling screams that alarmed the owner, staff, and other guests with concerns that someone had been injured. Requests for them to stop these screams went unheeded, and many of the animals were stressed and upset by it. On both occasions of your group visiting, we have had to eat the cost of damages incurred by your group as you adults stood by and watched, and did nothing, as the children vandalized our property, disconnected lighting, broke pumpkins for sale, and downright destroyed expensive and irreplaceable display items and toys. You call this "rowdy"?... It isn't "rowdy" it's downright disrespect. You should be cowering with embarrassment over the disrespect shown by your Scout troop... but no, you have the nerve to leave bad reviews too? As though we're the ones at fault? You're unbelievable. I cannot imagine my Scout leaders ever having allowed this to happen when I was a kid. Had I acted disruptively while on an outing and destroyed people's property and endangered others around me my Scout leader, as well as my parents, would have grabbed me by the ear and waltzed me up to the owner and demanded that I apologize not only to them but to every other person present. And then I would have had to pay for the cost of the damages out of my own pocket to teach me to be respectful of other people's property and be responsible for my actions. The fact that you defend your group's misbehavior by attacking our facility/staff in negative public reviews just goes to show how miscreant your troop really is. Obviously the fault lies with the adults, and the children are just the degenerate result of their baseless environment. You should be ashamed.
You and your group owe us, our staff, and our guests an apology.
And I would just like to remind you that we do have posted in our entrance that Idle-Hour Ranch is private property and it is our guests' privilege to visit, not their right. In short, we reserve the right to choose who has access to our private property. As a result of your blatant disrespect to our staff, our animals, our property, and our other guests, you may report back to your troop leaders that your negative reviews are the last straw: your group is no longer welcome and is henceforth banned from Idle-Hour Ranch. If individual families would like to visit they can, but the group as a whole is banned. We will also be sending your troop an invoice for the damages incurred; and you rockstar parents can divvy it up according to who's responsible for paying it. Have a nice day.

All reviews
"awe"
"ages"
"summer"

Reviewed 3 October 2017

First of all I want to say that these volunteers are doing an excellent job. Do keep in mind that this is a not for profit place. All the money they take in goes to feed and keep the animals. My granddaughter really had a great time. It was her birthday and she was excited to see the animals. For some reason she was in awe of the turtles and the little goat that was running around. She also fell in love with the baby pigs and the ferret. We bought the medium sized food basket and fed a lot of the animals. If we didn't live so far away, we would probably visit more often. I hope that grocery stores in the area help by donating their produce and meat that they are going to throw away and if the owners haven't done so, they might get with some of the store managers in the area and ask if they will do this. Great place for the kids and adults alike.

Reviewed 15 June 2017 via mobile

My granddaughters love it here. We try to visit at least once during the summer. The girls love the fact that they can touch and feed the animals.

Reviewed 21 October 2016

Very pleasantly surprised at how much fun all six (grandparents, children and grandchildren) of us experienced. The variety of animals were educational and interesting to see up close. All of us had fun with the games and equipment made available. And, we had a great time with the grandkids using their maps and papers to use at the different stations in the corn maize.
The staff was most welcoming and hospitable. A good value for the money!

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 August 2016

nice local palce for the grandkids to see many types of animals and interact with them. Giraffe was favorite. These people really care about the animals

idlehourranch, Front Office Manager at Idle-Hour Ranch, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2016

Thank you for your positive review of Idle-Hour Ranch. We would like to note, for our future guests reading these reviews, however, that we unfortunately no longer have the giraffe as of August 2014. So please don't visit with expectations of seeing him. However, we do have some other wonderful animals you and your family will enjoy interacting with, and a corn maze open August through October, as well as fall festivities such as hayrides, bonfires, s'mores, movies on the barn, games, etc., that are fun for guests of all ages. Thank you.