“Dinner done right!”

Don's Pomeroy House
Reserve with OpenTable
Don's Pomeroy House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 127 Restaurants in Strongsville
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Good for: Bar Scene, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Westwood
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

We’ve dined here numerous times over the years. The food and service have always been good! The Pomeroy House didn’t disappoint in any way this time. The food and service were excellent! This was the first time we dined on the patio. Very unusual as it’s late October and it’s northern Ohio! The patio is definitely one of the finer patios in Cleveland!

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

Food and service were great! A little crowded in the Pub but overall ambiance very nice for a date! I would definitely go again!

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

We took our friends for their 50th, we all had great meals. Our friends had fish entrees, they were all delicious. I usually order beef , but also ordered fish. It was cooked perfect. They had a very nice dessert for the occasion. It was a memorable dinner. Great place for special occasions.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

This restaurant has an amazing history it was on the underground rail service. Tthe food is outstanding. Three venues formal restaurant, the pub, and in good weather the patio. I find the patio to be especially nice. Heartily recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Remember my parents going here for their 20th anniversary and my mom being so excited, then so happy with the experience. So I went into our meal on 9.30.2017 with a very positive mindset, excited to celebrate our 17th anniversary.

Background: Husband and I live in Lakewood and are both in our mid-40s, yet probably look younger. Regularly eat out in Cleveland and Lakewood. Have been to Don's Lighthouse several times and liked it. Usually go to Red steakhouse for our anniversary dinner, thought we would try something different this time around.

The good:
Pleasant greeting and they wished us a happy anniversary at the host stand. Seated immediately at a cozy booth in a beautiful old dining room. The two glasses of wine I ordered were good. Water glasses were refilled regularly.

The bad:
In a word - our server. Came over and introduced himself, got our drinks. Then asked if we wanted appetizers. When we said no, he just stood there. No question of are you ready to order, do you want to hear our specials. Completely awkward. So I just launched into my order. Still don't know if they had any specials.

Also my steak was bloody in the middle and I ordered it medium well. Didn't get to the bloody part until a quarter through my steak. Server only stopped by once, pretty much after our first few bites, so I couldn't easily tell him about it. At that point in our meal, did not think it was worth sending back.

The ugly:
After our plates were cleaned, we sat for about 10 minutes. Then our waiter dropped off the check. Never asked if we wanted dessert, coffee, after dinner drinks. What the heck?? That is the best part of the meal. And it was our anniversary! Definitely did not receive anything "comped" as other reviews mentioned. Not that I was looking for a freebie. Just that after not eating a good portion of my steak, I was looking forward to dessert!

I thought about contacting corporate for the restaurant. Then decided it was not worth it because admittedly some of my gripes and observations are subjective. How do you quantify the fact that a restaurant basically hurt your feelings?!

Yes, I had expectations based on price point and the overall description of the restaurant as romantic. Overall, I expect some semblance of warmth from the service. I expect staff to not be loudly talking about adults drinking breast milk (which my husband overheard). I expect clientele will not sing happy birthday at their large group table. I expect that picture taking with a flash by customers will be kept to a minimum in the dining room.

Bottom line: Unless you are 60+ from the suburbs of Cleveland or never eat out at "nicer" restaurants - just skip it. Much better options at this price point in the Cleveland area that are way more welcoming and polished. Definitely feel our server "profiled" us. Which was dumb on his part, I used to wait tables and notoriously over tip on a regular basis.

The upside:
We drove into Cleveland and went to Sweet Moses for dessert! And we are headed to Chicago on Friday and have reservations at an old favorite - The Chicago Chop House. I think they will be able to cook my steak properly.