“Nice - Gives you the basics.”

Magnuson Hotel East Sandusky
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Sandusky
“Nice - Gives you the basics.”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

Me and my friends stayed there for Thursday and Friday. Our room was close to the front desk and the pool, which were pluses. The staff were helpful and let us use the Complementary Breakfast room's microwave to cook our ramen. I think the bathroom could've been a bit bigger and/or brighter, and the lights were kind of weird because they randomly turned off sometimes (lamps). Overall it was better than expected and gave us a nice quiet place to lay our heads.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Berkeley, California, USA
Reviewed 27 October 2010

If this hotel has some bad rooms, I didn't get one. Ours was clean enough. No stains on the carpet or bedding. Some dirt in the corners of the bathroom, but otherwise spotless. The sheets being too small and coming off the mattress is real though. Very strange. Fortunately I don't move too much when I sleep but two people on the bed would probably pull the corners all off. Our room was moderately close to the lobby and barely had a wifi connection.

The breakfast is toast, cereal, oatmeal, bananas, and closes at 9. That's too early if the park opens at 11 or even maybe 10.

I'm glad we stayed here considering the more costly alternatives.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 9 October 2010

My boyf & I stayed here for 2 nights, we picked it due to price & close proximity to
Cedar Point. the staff were friendly, but the room had a funky musty smell, and the windows didn't open. I'm glad we only stayed 2 nights, but the awesome rides at CP made up for it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Sycamore, Illinois
Reviewed 8 September 2010

In bygone days this was a grand hotel, you can tell. It is now worn and lacks service. No Internet as advertised. No soap for the laundry area. Bottom sheet and mattress pad curled right off the mattress. Minimal but adequate continental breakfast. Did enjoy sitting on the poolside patio. Our Friday night stay was way overpriced, and the 10% discount given when I complained about lack of services was not enough.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Sandusky hotels

Madison Heights, Michigan
Reviewed 26 August 2010

My husband and I booked this room 3 months ago for a 2 night stay to enjoy Cedar Point. We chose it for it's location and wireless internet. Upon arriving we checked in early, finished paying for our stay and left to go about our day. That evening we came back to settle in. Within 5 minutes of being in the room we had issues with the wireless internet. After two unsuccessfull calls to the front desk we were advised to bring our devices up front to see if we could connect. Upon seeing our Apple Ipad and Iphones the lady said "Oh, we always have problems with Apple products." At that point we asked to leave. The room was ok but we HAVE to have our internet for our business. We ended up arguing for over 30 minutes with the staff over $50 for the price of the room for one night. We had the staff call the manager twice at home (as there were NONE available or on call) and was told we couldn't get a refund for any reason and that we would get a call back the next day between 2p-8p from the manager the staff spoke with. They stated that since we could use internet from the computer in the lobby that was providing the services they advertised this fulfilled their obligation. They insisted that wireless internet was a "bonus feature" despite us having forms stating otherwise. They continuously contradicted themselves trying to deny us a refund by saying things like "you booked online" or "no one else complains about this so much" and "people always try to canx last minute." It was RIDICULOUS. We were treated horribly and walked out with losing $50, a "promised phone call," and no satisfaction. And guess what... the next day... NO PHONE CALL. So at 8pm I called and spoke with the manager who denied ever getting any phone calls and later contradicted herself saying "I have been really busy today." The same scenario repeated itself with her saying that it was our fault that our devices didn't work (though they worked fine at the other hotel we had to book and pay for) and that the wireless service was a bonus not real service offered. Finally, she agreed to contact the owner, Mr. Patel, who lives in New Jersey. She did call back the next day as stated saying no refund was alloted. I am filing a complaint with the BBB. This was the WORST HOTEL EXPERIENCE OF MY ENTIRE LIFE. I have worked in the hotel industry myself and everything about this stunk of them trying to make a quick buck. DON'T GO HERE. I read reviews in advance about this place and it seemed a reasonable choice at the time but I would NEVER recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple