Open today: 9:00 am - 4:30 pm
Lots of History

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
lscCanfield_Ohio
Canfield, Ohio
Hard to find but worth the hassle

Reviewed 15 September 2018
Paul-A-C-62
Cleveland, Ohio
via mobile

All reviews the akron canton airport on display goodyear blimp military history pearl harbor pancake breakfast cool planes indoor displays restored aircraft gift shop dedicated volunteers tour guide fallen heroes korean war an interesting place football hall of fame men and women
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

An old military helicopter hangar that is now a museum of air history. Dozens of restored aircraft to see and touch and climb into both inside and out. There is also plenty of war memorabilia from all wars as far back as the Civil War. There is a "Room of Heroes" which highlights Ohioans who served in various wars. There are very knowledgeable people on sight to provide interesting details and answer questions.Overall a very interesting way to spend an afternoon and soak up some history.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

My iPhone directions dumped me off at the Akron-Canton airport and the five employees we asked for directions never heard of MAPS. I remembered from previous trips down I-77 that there was a road sign so I went back on the highway and got there following the signs.

The displays inside and out exceeded my expectations. We spent two full hours exploring. For some reason, we were the only ones that did not have a tour guide. The volunteers at MAPS are very knowledgeable and enthusiastic. To fully appreciate all the exhibits, go on a day when it’s comfortable to be outside.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Thank You for your review. Sorry about the directions. Some mapping guides do take you to the airport. We are on the west side of it although we are a part of the airport.

Our tour guides are volunteers(as are all but two of the people at MAPS) so there may not always be enough to go around. The tour guides are free and to make sure to have one it is best to call ahead to try and schedule a stop.

Reviewed 7 September 2018

We really enjoyed visiting the MAPS Air Museum. They had a great display of planes and military equiptment, but what really makes this museum special are the veterans that volunteer at the museum. Our guide had lots of interesting facts and stories to share with us. Really enjoyed the mobile hospital display too.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2018

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 4 September 2018

I heard about this museum when I met the wife of one of the curators and we got into a discussion of my career at NASA. She told me about MAPS which stands for Military Aircraft Preservation Society. I worked on advanced aircraft and aircraft engines at NASA. Remember the first A in NASA stands for Aeronautical.
The museum is on the grounds of the Akron/Canton Airport which I frequently fly out of yet I had never heard or seen anything about MAPS existence. We went there and thoroughly enjoyed the exhibits. You can take a guided tour or use an app on a smartphone to proceed at your own pace. It would take too much space here to cover everything they have such as a MASH hospital tent replica from the Korean War to John Glenn's fighter. I suggest that you go to their website and also go to the museum.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

Thank You very much for your review.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

We really enjoyed our visit to this excellent museum. Many planes and aircraft-related displays. The guides were very knowledgeable and helpful. Highly recommended!

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2018

Thank You very much for your review.

Reviewed 1 September 2018

I was so fascinated by everything here. It was great to learn about all the history and the ties to the area.

Thank You for your review!

Reviewed 21 August 2018

It's low priced few hours. Very educational. Lots of indoor and outdoor things to see. Uniforms, fighter planes, even a makeshift tent hospital. It's set up with everything that is necessary to treat the wounded.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

Thank You for your review.

Reviewed 15 August 2018

I spent the afternoon visiting the museum with my two boys 8&5. They really enjoyed being up close and personal to so many different types of aircraft and even getting to climb inside a few! My oldest is a total armed forces fanatic so it was a great time for his especially! The museum is very clean, well kept and has very informative and interesting exhibits. The staff are amazing, friendly and helpful.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2018

Thank You. Glad the boys had a good time.

Reviewed 10 August 2018 via mobile

We stopped for one of the concerts put on by a local community band in the main hanger. What a cool experience. The museum is small but there are lots of interesting things. The area that highlights he stories of local military men and women was very cool. Well worth a stop.

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2018

Thank You for your review.

Reviewed 5 August 2018

Yes, the museum is full of planes and they are all great, but my favorite part is the Field Hospital! It looks exactly like the one from M*A*S*H tv series! if you're a fan, you should see it! It's unbelievable, just to think they actually treated wounded soldiers in a tent like that, performing surgeries, taking x-rays and pulling teeth! The biggest attraction for kids is probably sitting inside a real helicopter!

infoJ7000GI, Marketing Manager at MAPS Air Museum, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2018

Thank you so much for the review.