“Running on Empty”

5th Avenue Deli & Grill
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 1 March 2018

I like to root for mom and pop places. They tend to provide a level of personality and genuineness that the chains cannot match.

So it pains me to say this place is only so-so. The food is good, yes, but nothing to write home about. It's a traditional deli, but there's a new Slyman's only 5 miles down I-271 with corned beef that is well above this. The service was lukewarm and the decor seemed dated without even a retro kind of charm. The price was on the high side.

Sorry. I wish this place were better.

1  Thank ElaineAndGreg

Reviewed 20 February 2018

This was always our go to for a healthy breakfast with a non American twist. Went back today and was surprised to find it empty. We ordered, a chicken pita, lentil soup, home fries and a chicken shawarma. The fries were very oily, some kind of oil layer on them that I had to chew through to get to the fries and left a film of oil on my tongue and teeth. The chicken shawarma was a really small portion of chicken with lots of onions. The lentil soup was tasty but cold. The chicken pita had to have hot sauce added to make it tasty.

Reviewed 3 February 2018

I rarely give a 5. I have dined here several times, and have always been pleased. The Reuben is always good, but I especially like the Middle Eastern selections. Today I stopped in on a whim to get lunch to go for some friends. The extremely friendly woman who took care of me suggested shawarma combos that were exactly right and saved me some money, too. I had a bowl of their lentil soup while the take out order was being prepared, and I would go back just for that. It was piping hot, velvety, and rich - the server recommended it for a cold, icy, windy day, and she was so right. Perfect. The thing that stuck out to me the most was that every single person working there was smiling, treating the guests like they wanted them to be there, to make them happy. You don't get that very often. I wish I lived nearby - I would be a near-daily customer. The shawarma combos were excellent, too. I have not had any of their breakfast dishes, but I have to think they are great, too. Unlikely place, tucked in a huge strip center, but definitely worth seeking out. Go there if you are in the area. You will be happy you did.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

5th Avenue Deli is a homey restaurant with a wide variety of food. You can get breakfast, lunch, dinner or just something quick. The employees are very nice, and the owner is always there.

Reviewed 2 January 2018 via mobile

We stopped in randomly. Never heard of his place and from out of town. Holy amazing! Amazing Reuben sandwich. The meatloaf was really great also